Numbers...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
IWMP
God

Re: Numbers...

Post by IWMP »

Could combine half the posts here and create an epic novel lol.
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Marcus Aurelius

Concentrate
Every minute like a Roman
Like a man
On doing what’s in front of you with precise and genuine seriousness
Tenderly
Willingly
With justice

And on freeing yourself from all other distractions
Yes, you can
If you do everything as if it were the last thing you were doing in your life
And stop being aimless
Stop letting your emotions override what your mind knows
Stop being hypocritical
Self-centered
Irritable
You see how few things you have to do to live a satisfying and reverent life?
If you can manage this
That’s all even the gods can ask of you

[Chorus]
Yeah, keep on degrading yourself
Soul
Soon your chance at dignity
It will be gone
Everybody gets one life
Yours is almost all used up
Now
And instead of treating yourself
With respect
You have entrusted
Your own happiness
Unto the souls of others
Unto the souls of others

Do external things distract you?
Then make time to learn something worthwhile
Stop letting yourself be pulled in all directions
But make sure you guard against the other kind of confusion
People who labor all their lives but have no purpose to direct
Every thought and impulse toward are wasting all their time
Even when hard at work
Even when hard at work

Ignoring what goes on in other people’s souls
No one ever came to grief that way
But if you won’t keep track of what your own soul’s doing
How can you not be unhappy?

Don’t ever forget these things
The nature of the world
My nature
How I relate
Unto the world
What proportion of it I make up
That you are part of nature
And no one can prevent you from speaking and acting in harmony with it
Always

[Chorus]
Yeah, keep on degrading yourself
Soul
Soon your chance at dignity
It will be gone
Everybody gets one life
Yours is almost all used up
Now
And instead of treating yourself
With respect
You have entrusted
Your own happiness
Unto the souls of others
Unto the souls of others
IWMP
God

Post by IWMP »

Can see the future...

I foresee, a "valo's musical megathread", incoming.

Lol.. just kidding.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Some people really have had unusually large impacts on history. Some people really do have unusual talents or circumstances of some kind. But what also really does happen is that some people have unusually strong psychological urges to feel that they are special and important. Anyone who is even beginning to wonder whether they might have some unusually big and special calling in life should probably be wondering, too, whether maybe it's all in their own head, and they just really want to be important and special. It's a real possibility.

People with strong desires to be special can do a lot of harm, through putting their own desires above other people, and for that they are often understandably disliked. Calling someone a narcissist usually sounds like condemning and blaming them. I think that anything on that kind of spectrum is a very unfortunate condition from which to suffer, though. If you can't feel safe or happy unless everyone agrees that you are really special, then you're probably going to have a lot of unhappiness.

In ages past it wasn't so terribly hard to be the smartest or strongest or prettiest person around. You only had to compare with a few hundred people. Nowadays the competition is fierce. People smarter and better-looking than any of us are just a click away from everyone. Appallingly many of them can also sing. Being the center of attention is tough, when you're competing with the entire human race.

For those who suffer from it, it's a terrible, crippling impediment to have this endlessly crying need for acclaim. There are ways to treat the condition and escape from the misery. Counseling can help, for example. It's worth considering.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Valo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:28 am

(3:08) :mrgreen:
(Three, but not Eight) you’re on a :roll:

TTW (n-tuple type words) are like quatrains, only better.

Once upon a time I requested about 2 dozen items from someone.

Then supplied them with 3 six-foot polycarbonate cylinders.

Each item being 8 inches in length actually allows for twenty-seven items from supplied stock. 8-)

(72/8) x 3 is the simple math even a _______ grader could understand.

How would you fill in the blank. :?:
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:40 pm
Some people really have had unusually large impacts on history. Some people really do have unusual talents or circumstances of some kind. But what also really does happen is that some people have unusually strong psychological urges to feel that they are special and important. Anyone who is even beginning to wonder whether they might have some unusually big and special calling in life should probably be wondering, too, whether maybe it's all in their own head, and they just really want to be important and special. It's a real possibility.

People with strong desires to be special can do a lot of harm, through putting their own desires above other people, and for that they are often understandably disliked. Calling someone a narcissist usually sounds like condemning and blaming them. I think that anything on that kind of spectrum is a very unfortunate condition from which to suffer, though. If you can't feel safe or happy unless everyone agrees that you are really special, then you're probably going to have a lot of unhappiness.

In ages past it wasn't so terribly hard to be the smartest or strongest or prettiest person around. You only had to compare with a few hundred people. Nowadays the competition is fierce. People smarter and better-looking than any of us are just a click away from everyone. Appallingly many of them can also sing. Being the center of attention is tough, when you're competing with the entire human race.

For those who suffer from it, it's a terrible, crippling impediment to have this endlessly crying need for acclaim. There are ways to treat the condition and escape from the misery. Counseling can help, for example. It's worth considering.
Indeed. Very sage advice and relevant.

At the same time we are born in to a system that wants to define us as average, superior, etc. But as has been pointed out here it's all a social construction, it's all something somebody else came up with based on criteria they thought were important and for what purpose?

To God there is no average. Only those who don't see their potential. One idea I love that Alan Watts taught so well, was this idea that when we analyze something in nature, he like to use sea shells, I like to use trees, but when you look at anything like that, you don't wonder if it's good enough, or did it grow just right, does it fit this parameter, not unless you have some other objective or motivation for the object in nature. Otherwise we admire it and see how it's perfect!
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:22 pm
Can see the future...

I foresee, a "valo's musical megathread", incoming.

Lol.. just kidding.
:D
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Digit reversal from 72 into 27 is a new thing for me.

Divide by 8 and multiply by 3 in the one case discovered so far.

Can you find another member of this set. :?:
IWMP
God

Post by IWMP »

Twice I wrote a reply and twice I lost what I wrote. Guess I'm not meant to lol.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:03 pm
Twice I wrote a reply and twice I lost what I wrote. Guess I'm not meant to lol.
https://youtu.be/HSI1k6ath0E

Spectral disturbance 38 minutes ago when this guy reported it.

Then he said Numeral Number 9.

(81/9) x 2 = 18.

Another subset of a larger set that contains all numbers subject to digit reversal. 8-)