Numbers...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Numbers...

Post by drumdude »

Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 5:55 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am
Wait til he discovers numbers can have other bases than just base 10.
:D

As Gordan Ramsay finishes the dish, some guy in the audience snickers to his friend, "Wait until this guy, what's his name, Gordon? Anyway, wait until he discovers there is more than just salt! High five anyone...anyone?" :D
At least Marcus got the joke. I would explain it but that lessens the impact.

Suffice it to say none of the number coincidences in this thread work in base 2, or base 16.

Look at this from a more sophisticated perspective and it all falls apart quickly. Base 10, for the uninformed, is just an arbitrary choice - if we had 8 fingers we would be using base 8 and this thread would have a completely different set of “magic” number BS.

I’m surprised we aren’t talking about how magic 1s and 0s are- since they’re the numbers we’re communicating with now. But I suppose trying to show that 011010111 feels “sad” just doesn’t have the same impact as “47 makes me feel happy.”
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:43 pm
Valo wrote:

As Gordan Ramsay finishes the dish, some guy in the audience snickers to his friend, "Wait until this guy, what's his name, Gordon? Anyway, wait until he discovers there is more than just salt! High five anyone...anyone?" :D

Suffice it to say none of the number coincidences in this thread work in base 2, or base 16.

Look at this from a more sophisticated perspective and it all falls apart quickly. Base 10, for the uninformed, is just an arbitrary choice - if we had 8 fingers we would be using base 8 and this thread would have a completely different set of “magic” number BS.

I’m surprised we aren’t talking about how magic 1s and 0s are- since they’re the numbers we’re communicating with now. But I suppose trying to show that 011010111 feels “sad” just doesn’t have the same impact as “47 makes me feel happy.”
Base 10 is not arbitrary because we do have 10 fingers.

Funny... :D
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

drumdude wrote:
Valo wrote:

Lol. Binary numbers might create emotions in people who understands them and have a connection with what they mean. I'm not sure that what base you use is relevant to what I was expressing about numbers and colours generating a sense of feeling. I think they are analysing their numbers and finding ways that the numbers connect. I'm sure if the numbers connected via a different mathematical method, then that would be shared instead relative to their understanding and knowledge. It is personal to them. The numbers aren't magic. Their are just numbers. They are finding the magic in how they perceive the numbers and how they think the numbers connect to the universe and to their experiences.

Like, could we do the same with the alphabet? Do we have letters that keep showing up? That create feelings for us. Would a different language have a different set of rules and meanings?
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:24 pm
drumdude wrote:

Some people have 11 fingers :P
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:14 pm
drumdude wrote:

Lol. Binary numbers might create emotions in people who understands them and have a connection with what they mean. I'm not sure that what base you use is relevant to what I was expressing about numbers and colours generating a sense of feeling. I think they are analysing their numbers and finding ways that the numbers connect. I'm sure if the numbers connected via a different mathematical method, then that would be shared instead relative to their understanding and knowledge. It is personal to them. The numbers aren't magic. Their are just numbers. They are finding the magic in how they perceive the numbers and how they think the numbers connect to the universe and to their experiences.

Like, could we do the same with the alphabet? Do we have letters that keep showing up? That create feelings for us. Would a different language have a different set of rules and meanings?
I agree you have the subjective experience with base10 numbers and the English alphabet, but those are experiences generated by our minds. I think the point that Marcus and I are pushing back on is some idea that these experiences are created by the numbers themselves. Our brains are creating the feelings and patterns, the numbers don't have any of these inherent properties in themselves.
Imwashingmypirate
God

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:19 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:14 pm

I agree you have the subjective experience with base10 numbers and the English alphabet, but those are experiences generated by our minds. I think the point that Marcus and I are pushing back on is some idea that these experiences are created by the numbers themselves. Our brains are creating the feelings and patterns, the numbers don't have any of these inherent properties in themselves.
This is what I wrote in the beginning and multiple times. It is how we perceived the numbers. I am not sure if high spy and valo believe the numbers themselves have magical properties, I get the impression they feel they are signs. But is that signs from something magical, or their souls being sensitive to notice these standing out. I do have to say, some of the things they have shared are mildly intriguing. But without living in their shoes, one can't tell if they see various numbers and patterns but are only collecting evidence of these ones.

I guess that is a question they could answer?

Guys, is it that the numbers themselves are magical or special? Is it that your brain has developed a meaning for the numbers? Is it that because you've assigned the meaning to the numbers, something beyond numbers, beyond us is telling you something?

What is it that is happening? If we used different symbols for the numbers but they still followed the same rules, would you see the respective symbols?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
...I think the point that Marcus and I are pushing back on is some idea that these experiences are created by the numbers themselves. Our brains are creating the feelings and patterns, the numbers don't have any of these inherent properties in themselves...
Exactly. No 'magic.' If I recall correctly, it was Sagan who said he was surprised there weren't more coincidences found by 'searchers', given how utterly normal and common coincidences are. And coincidences in numbers? Even with the cheats and multiple methods and mid-analysis rule changing and creative interpretation some posters in this thread have engaged in, there is no mystical, magical meaning to the coincidences they conjure up.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:15 pm
Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:24 pm

Some people have 11 fingers :P
Some do. :)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:38 pm
drumdude wrote:
...I think the point that Marcus and I are pushing back on is some idea that these experiences are created by the numbers themselves. Our brains are creating the feelings and patterns, the numbers don't have any of these inherent properties in themselves...
Exactly. No 'magic.' If I recall correctly, it was Sagan who said he was surprised there weren't more coincidences found by 'searchers', given how utterly normal and common coincidences are. And coincidences in numbers? Even with the cheats and multiple methods and mid-analysis rule changing and creative interpretation some posters in this thread have engaged in, there is no mystical, magical meaning to the coincidences they conjure up.
Word.

Or maybe, Number.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:38 pm
drumdude wrote:
This assumes meaning is objective. Because you can't see or find meaning in something doesn't deny the meaning that someone else sees or finds.

At the base of Western civilization is the notion that all people are sovereign, free to pursue their own happiness in life, so long as they respect the sovereignty of others not them.

It's not even certain what it is we are looking at when we see photons reflected from an object in to our eyes where the light gets converted in to an electrical impulse that is sent to a part of the brain that processes visible light and your brain creates an image, supposedly, of this object. But nobody knows what it "means".

In quantum mechanics there is the famous schrodinger cat's experiment and one question it illustrates is does our observation of an object determine it's state? When we get to the nitty gritty we see things aren't so clear.

All things at a quantum level seem to be everything at once or in all states simultaneously. There is even a theory associated with this that discusses the idea that it is the observer who determines the static state.