LDS Missionary held on rape charges

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
Bishop

LDS Missionary held on rape charges

Post by I Have Questions »

A 19-year-old man serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Utah County was arrested Saturday for allegedly raping a woman. He now faces a slew of charges including first-degree felony rape, court documents show.

Saratoga Springs police officers said they were called out to a home, where a relative reported that their sister was being sexually assaulted by a man who lived across the street.

Officers located Abraham Isaac Cruz Hernandez standing in a driveway, who reportedly told police that he and the victim had been in a garage “making out” and had sex. He refused to answer any further questions after being read his rights, arrest records say.

The victim later told police she and Hernandez were in the garage when he allegedly grabbed her and began kissing her, which she originally consented to. She further reported that he then forcibly made her perform sexual acts without her consent before raping her, according to court documents.
https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/ ... pe-charge/
In a statement provided to the Daily Herald, the church says Hernandez was immediately removed from his volunteer missionary service. “The Church is cooperating fully with law enforcement in this investigation. Missionaries are expected to abide by the highest standards, and those who do not will be released and sent home, and in situations involving criminal allegations, also face loss of Church membership.”

Hernandez was booked into the Utah County Jail for forcible sodomy, rape and sexual battery. He’s currently being held without bail.
It will be interesting to gain more information about the individual as the case unfolds. Has the spirit of discernment failed yet again? For instance, where was his companion?
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: LDS Missionary held on rape charges

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

That is horrific. :(

I've just realised that horrific is like horrifying. Ughh what's wrong with me?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:43 pm
I've just realised that horrific is like horrifying. Ughh what's wrong with me?
Not exactly. I think your choice of horrific is pretty accurate for this.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Maybe teaching young Mormon men that girls are objects like licked cupcakes or ice cream with a roach in them is bad?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

the probable cause statement/affidavit is posted on here:https://floodlit.org/a/a770/#other-source-list-item-1

A lot of it is redacted. I read it this morning, before parts were redacted. Horrific is the correct word.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I'm not sure why floodlit redacted it, it's still in its original form on the reddit thread. I think it's important for Mormons to see exactly what a missionary did.

It also highlights the problem with abstinence only training in the LDS church. Young Mormon men aren't taught about consent and how it can be revoked during sex. Many Mormon parents do not allow schools to teach their children about sex. All they are taught is that it's the worst sin next to murder, if they're unmarried.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Sad. And horrific.
Imwashingmypirate
God

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:25 pm
I'm not sure why floodlit redacted it, it's still in its original form on the reddit thread. I think it's important for Mormons to see exactly what a missionary did.

It also highlights the problem with abstinence only training in the LDS church. Young Mormon men aren't taught about consent and how it can be revoked during sex. Many Mormon parents do not allow schools to teach their children about sex. All they are taught is that it's the worst sin next to murder, if they're unmarried.
That is absolutely disgusting.

Do we really blame the church for the choices of this man? There are plenty of missionaries who don't find themselves wanting to rape women. I think we risk not holding him entirely accountable for his behaviour if we give him excuses and blame the church. We all know that rape is wrong. The statement makes it clear that she did not consent. I don't know why he is being charged with sodomy when the statement doesn't say that. But that's irrelevant. Poor woman. I hope she can find strength and heal.

Edit, correction.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:00 pm
Do we really blame the church for the choices of this man? There are plenty of missionaries who don't find themselves wanting to rape women. I think we risk not holding him entirely accountable for his behaviour if we give him excuses and blame the church. We all know that rape is wrong. The statement makes it clear that she did not consent. I don't know why he is being charged with sodomy when the statement doesn't say that. But that's irrelevant. Poor woman. I hope she can find strength and heal.

Edit, correction.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the LDS church produces rapists, or has the capacity to stop someone from making the wrong choices. But in my experience, it has produced some astoundingly naïve young men who know absolutely nothing about sex. Could education have done some good on this man? I don't think it would hurt.
Imwashingmypirate
God

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:00 pm

Edit, correction.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the LDS church produces rapists, or has the capacity to stop someone from making the wrong choices. But in my experience, it has produced some astoundingly naïve young men who know absolutely nothing about sex. Could education have done some good on this man? I don't think it would hurt.
Maybe. Thanks for clarifying.