LDS Missionary held on rape charges

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
Bishop

Re: LDS Missionary held on rape charges

Post by I Have Questions »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:00 am
I honestly don't believe the church is the problem. I think people who are capable of such crimes have this nature in their core. But I do know people like to take opportunities to have a poke at the church.
Where I see the culpability of the church in these kinds of things is that they promote, very strongly promote, the idea that Priesthood holders make divinely inspired decisions and can be trusted all the time. Members are conditioned to implicitly trust someone simply because they are a male priesthood holder in a position of responsibility, or because of some indeterminate feeling within about the situation. And one can override the other. A females defences are reduced by this conditioning. As are a parents. People are more likely to let missionaries into their homes than, say, a person selling cleaning products. They give these young people a badge and a mandate. Then they teach them how to talk themselves into peoples homes. They teach these young people how to groom others - primarily they are teaching them how to groom people into being interested in the church, but it’s a transferable skill set for those that have malfeasance on their mind.

In this particular case I’m not sure the set of circumstances that have led to the missionary being alone in the garage with a young female. So it will be interesting to find out more as the case progresses.

Where was his companion?
I Have Questions
Bishop

Police noted in the arrest report obtained by KSL.com that Hernandez had been serving as a missionary and “does not have any family, support system, or ties within Utah. If released he will likely return to his home state of California.”
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2024/05/1 ... e-in-utah/

Does not have any support system? He’s currently innocent until proven guilty. Surely his support system is the Church generally, and the Mission President specifically? Why isn’t the Church helping him through this difficult situation?
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:01 am
Does the prophet look prospective missionaries in the eye? I thought it was done by mail.
The Apostles take turns in front of a computer screen with an image of each Missionary in front of them. They then receive divine revelation and inspiration about that missionary and about where to assign them. Or so they claim.
Oh wow. Didn't know that. That's interesting that they actually would go to that effort.
Imwashingmypirate
God

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:17 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:00 am
I honestly don't believe the church is the problem. I think people who are capable of such crimes have this nature in their core. But I do know people like to take opportunities to have a poke at the church.
Where I see the culpability of the church in these kinds of things is that they promote, very strongly promote, the idea that Priesthood holders make divinely inspired decisions and can be trusted all the time. Members are conditioned to implicitly trust someone simply because they are a male priesthood holder in a position of responsibility, or because of some indeterminate feeling within about the situation. And one can override the other. A females defences are reduced by this conditioning. As are a parents. People are more likely to let missionaries into their homes than, say, a person selling cleaning products. They give these young people a badge and a mandate. Then they teach them how to talk themselves into peoples homes. They teach these young people how to groom others - primarily they are teaching them how to groom people into being interested in the church, but it’s a transferable skill set for those that have malfeasance on their mind.

In this particular case I’m not sure the set of circumstances that have led to the missionary being alone in the garage with a young female. So it will be interesting to find out more as the case progresses.

Where was his companion?
AHH. Yes. Absolutely agree with all of this. I'd let missionaries into my home even though I don't go to church. I wouldn't let Jehovah witnesses in though. Actually I'd more likely let missionaries in than I would feel comfortable letting teacher in. Which I guess is conditioning.

Very good question. That was my thoughts too. They shouldn't have been apart.
Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

This guy has to own his own actions. I will say though that missions can do things to your mind. You are denied all healthy outlets and given special status in the church. It's not a very good combination.

I had a companion that got sent home for being alone with a woman we taught and baptized after I left the area. I guess they would go over to the house she lived with her two kids, her mom, and her teenage brother who had converted like a year before. They hung out, watched tv, played video games, and I guess the two of them just found opportunities to be alone, or in the next room out of eyesight and total earshot. I guess when the guy got moved from the area he ghosted her, and so she showed up at the missionary apartment wondering where he had gone, which led to the MP being called, which led to finding out at least enough to send him home.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 am
The Apostles take turns in front of a computer screen with an image of each Missionary in front of them. They then receive divine revelation and inspiration about that missionary and about where to assign them.
Much knowledge can be transmitted through the computer screen; that is what makes Wikipedia so popular.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
God

Dwight wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:29 pm
This guy has to own his own actions. I will say though that missions can do things to your mind. You are denied all healthy outlets and given special status in the church. It's not a very good combination.

I had a companion that got sent home for being alone with a woman we taught and baptized after I left the area. I guess they would go over to the house she lived with her two kids, her mom, and her teenage brother who had converted like a year before. They hung out, watched tv, played video games, and I guess the two of them just found opportunities to be alone, or in the next room out of eyesight and total earshot. I guess when the guy got moved from the area he ghosted her, and so she showed up at the missionary apartment wondering where he had gone, which led to the MP being called, which led to finding out at least enough to send him home.
Your companion sounds like he was taking part in something consensual. Is there anything you would change about missions that might help young men and women?
I Have Questions
Bishop

Missionaries are now being taught how to trawl social media to find people they can groom into letting missionaries into their homes. They’re using members Facebook connections and groups to slot in their leading questions etc. if you are “friends” with a serving missionary on any social media platform they are taking that as permission to feel free to target your non member contacts.

I find it very creepy. At least knocking on doors was honest and up front. But now, they use techniques akin to groomers and phishers. Similarly in person - offering to teach people English and then using those English lessons to start missionary conversations. It’s all a bit dishonest.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:04 pm
Missionaries are now being taught how to trawl social media to find people they can groom into letting missionaries into their homes. They’re using members Facebook connections and groups to slot in their leading questions etc. if you are “friends” with a serving missionary on any social media platform they are taking that as permission to feel free to target your non member contacts.

I find it very creepy. At least knocking on doors was honest and up front. But now, they use techniques akin to groomers and phishers. Similarly in person - offering to teach people English and then using those English lessons to start missionary conversations. It’s all a bit dishonest.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Grooming Latter Day Saints.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 am
I Have Questions wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:04 pm

The Church of Jesus Christ of Grooming Latter Day Saints.
:O 🤣 don't know whether to laugh or be shocked. Where do you come up with these one liners philo sophee?