Seeing Things Differently -DanP the apologist excuse.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Seeing Things Differently -DanP the apologist excuse.

Post by malkie »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 pm
More information is ALWAYS better. Even if it's bigoted, misleading, twisted, or false information. Can't ever have too much dubious information.

By the way, more bees is always better.
I think you misspelled "beer"
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:49 pm
Why will even A.I. never tell you that "More information is ALWAYS better"? Because even an inconsistent, partially formed, unsophisticated, dumbass computer program knows a dozen reasons that's not true.

Like hippos, potassium, and bees, more information is not always better.
You’re right!

Pi A.I.:
While access to information can be incredibly valuable in many situations, there are also situations where too much information can actually be counterproductive or even harmful. Here are a few reasons why more information might not always be better:

* Analysis paralysis: Too much information can lead to information overload, making it difficult to make a decision or take action.

* Misinformation: Not all information is accurate or reliable, and having access to too much information can increase the risk of encountering misinformation or disinformation.

* Stress and anxiety: Constant access to information, especially negative or alarming information, can contribute to feelings of stress and anxiety.

* Privacy concerns: Access to too much information about individuals or groups can raise privacy concerns and lead to harmful outcomes, such as identity theft or stalking.

* Distraction: In some cases, having access to too much information can be distracting and detract from important tasks or goals.

In summary, while information is often valuable, it's important to be selective about the information we consume and to consider the potential downsides of having too much information.
On the other hand:
Pi A.I.:

Generally speaking, yes, having more information on a particular topic can be beneficial in making reasoned judgments and conclusions. When we have more information, we can better evaluate different perspectives, weigh the pros and cons of different options, and make more informed decisions.

For example, if we're trying to decide which car to buy, having more information about the different models, features, and prices can help us make a more informed decision. Similarly, if we're trying to understand a complex scientific or social issue, having access to multiple sources of information can help us develop a more nuanced and accurate understanding of the topic.

However, as we discussed earlier, there are situations where having too much information can be counterproductive or even harmful. It's important to strike a balance between seeking out enough information to make informed decisions and avoiding information overload or the risk of encountering misinformation.
So I’ll give you a partial. Hey, like I said earlier…who’s going to be the arbitrator of how much is to much vs. not enough on this board?

Let’s see, the even handed arbitrators and masters of information administration and truth on this board (the Tony Fauci’s of the world)…or ME!

The correct answer is, we don’t always know. And maybe there shouldn’t even be an arbitrator in this instance. So in many situations it might be better to have more information than less. Trying to find that balance is something that can get rather dicey.

You’re going to see it differently than me.

But thanks for recognizing that even A.I. is aware of ‘information overload’. I saw that at times in the classroom. Too much too fast is hard on some kids. And also some adults. I’ve felt that way many times.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:56 pm

On the other hand:
Pi A.I.:

Generally speaking, yes, having more information on a particular topic can be beneficial in making reasoned judgments and conclusions. When we have more information, we can better evaluate different perspectives, weigh the pros and cons of different options, and make more informed decisions.

For example, if we're trying to decide which car to buy, having more information about the different models, features, and prices can help us make a more informed decision. Similarly, if we're trying to understand a complex scientific or social issue, having access to multiple sources of information can help us develop a more nuanced and accurate understanding of the topic.

However, as we discussed earlier, there are situations where having too much information can be counterproductive or even harmful. It's important to strike a balance between seeking out enough information to make informed decisions and avoiding information overload or the risk of encountering misinformation.
What was your question for the "on the other hand part"?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

LDS Chatbot definition of Free Will:
It looks like I owe MG 2.0 and apology. I thought I saw a recent comment from Morley also that supports this, but MG is using a church A.I chatbot to get these answers? I didn't realize that. I accused him of leaning on the arm of flesh for answers. Yes, if he were using one of the many browser AIs out there he'd be bowing to the wisdom of men. But given it's church authorized, then that's not the case.

Unrelated to MG, this is mind-blowing. The day has come that members don't even need to pretend they are learning doctrine, they just need to know it's true and refer to the chatbot if anyone has an issue with that? I'm blown away.
LDS A.I. wrote:Free will is a fundamental concept in Latter-day Saint theology, as well as in broader Christian thought. It refers to the God-given ability and privilege that individuals have to choose for themselves between different courses of action. This freedom to choose enables us to make decisions that shape our lives, our characters, and our eternal destinies.

In Latter-day Saint scriptures and teachings, the principle of agency, or moral agency, is often used interchangeably with free will. This concept is rooted in the belief that we are children of God and that He has given us the capacity to act for ourselves, rather than being compelled to act.
I think the Chatbot needs to re-read D&C 93, but aside from that it's a meaningless answer. Very few people have fundamentally denied free-will. There are three basic positions. Hard determinism, soft determinism, no determinism. Hard determinists say explicitly that free will is incompatible with determinism and believe in determinism, case closed. Soft determinism says that free will and determinism are compatible. All new Atheists are soft-determinists. And non-determinists agree with hardliners that determinism is incompatible with free will, but we have free will and determinism is false.
some A.I. wrote:Calvinism. John Calvin ascribed "free will" to all people in the sense that they act "voluntarily, and not by compulsion."
You'd be hard pressed to find anybody alive today who doesn't believe individuals can "choose" and "act for ourselves" rather than compelled to act.

It's basically meaningless to say any of this.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

malkie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:27 pm
Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 pm
More information is ALWAYS better. Even if it's bigoted, misleading, twisted, or false information. Can't ever have too much dubious information.

By the way, more bees is always better.
I think you misspelled "beer"
My god, you're right!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:59 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:56 pm

On the other hand:
Pi A.I.:

Is it generally better to have more information on a particular topic than less in order to make reasoned judgments and conclusions?
Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 11:04 pm
MG is using a church A.I chatbot to get these answers?
drumdude posted a response where he used the LDS Chatbot. Until he did so I didn’t even know there was one.

Who would have thought?

The church has seemingly really kept up with the times when it comes to the use of technology. I asked the bot how and when the church decided to develop a Chatbot:

The LDSBot, as you see here, isn't an official initiative of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints itself. Instead, it was developed by the B. H. Roberts Foundation, which took the initiative to utilize ChatGPT technology provided by OpenAI for this purpose. The intention behind creating this bot is to provide responses based on Latter-day Saint texts and traditions in a friendly and informative manner, help with questions related to LDS Church teachings, practices, and culture, and encourage discussions on gospel-centered topics.

The exact timing of the decision to develop this LDS-focused version of ChatGPT isn't specified within the information I can share, but technology and digital platforms continue to evolve rapidly, and various organizations, including those run by members of the Church, look for ways to leverage these advancements to foster faith-promoting discussions and provide support in learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Remember, while LDSBot aims to be a helpful and positive resource, it's always a good idea to cross-reference with official Church materials and speak with local Church leaders or knowledgeable members for guidance on specific doctrinal questions or personal concerns. 😊
Pretty cool!

I’ll bet some of you are going to play with it and return and report. 😉

Maybe a smoking gun or two? Just kidding. Or not. 😄

The thing to keep in mind is that the chat bot does not have an official affiliation with the church.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2023/5/27 ... i-chatgpt/

Regards,
MG
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:15 am
Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:59 pm

Is it generally better to have more information on a particular topic than less in order to make reasoned judgments and conclusions?
That's an entirely different question--and includes a concept that no one would disagree with. Of course it's "generally better to have more information on a particular topic than less in order to make reasoned judgments and conclusions."

However, you passed off the response to that different question as if it were part of the response to the original "Is more information ALWAYS better?"

After pages of you making the argument and repeating the mantra "More information is ALWAYS better," here was my challenge:
Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:41 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:29 pm

More information the better.
Really? I notice that you didn't you ask it about that.

Ask your beloved A.I. "Is more information ALWAYS better?" It will never tell you yes.
You pretended like the "on the other hand" portion was part of the answer to that question. You acted like the A.I. bot had qualified its answer without an additional prompt that would generate what would be an obvious, predetermined qualification.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:44 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:15 am

That's an entirely different question--and includes a concept that no one would disagree with. Of course it's "generally better to have more information on a particular topic than less in order to make reasoned judgments and conclusions."

However, you passed off the response to that different question as if it were part of the response to the original "Is more information ALWAYS better?"

After pages of you making the argument and repeating the mantra "More information is ALWAYS better," here was my challenge:
Morley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:41 pm

Really? I notice that you didn't you ask it about that.

Ask your beloved A.I. "Is more information ALWAYS better?" It will never tell you yes.
You pretended like the "on the other hand" portion was part of the answer to that question. You acted like the A.I. bot had qualified its answer without an additional prompt that would generate what would be an obvious, predetermined qualification.
First question-Is more Information always better than less information? Answer:No
Second question-Is it generally better to have more information on a particular topic than less in order to make reasoned judgments and conclusions? Yes

I’ll leave that as it is. If you want to continue on with your nitpicking/gotcha thing, thinking that by doing so you’re pointing out a deficiency or intentional distortion or misrepresentation, by all means, go for it.

Earlier you mentioned that I reminded you of your brother.

I see my brother in MG. In fact, have to continuously remind myself that MG is not my literal bother. My brother has the same responses, the same tactics, the same style, the same beliefs. And I love him dearly. Sometimes all of that that is engaged when I read MG. I need to give up on them both.
There is a danger in projection. Less than positive (how much less than positive?) experiences with your brother in regards to his religious beliefs (to the point of…?) is likely to cloud your judgement.

This idea of “giving up on them both” can have multiple meanings. What is it that you mean?

I see your responses as having an “ax to grind” quality to them. To the point of ‘whatever it takes I’m going to bring this guy down’(brother issues?). MG is the same, same, same, same (count them, oh yeah, you did in your other post). That’s EXACTLY what I’ve suggested that we avoid Morley. I’m not sure that we can have any semblance of a civil discussion if you’re going for points on technicalities and making stuff up.

Trump does that kind of crap.

Unfortunately I would not be surprised if that is exactly what you come back with.

Down on a technicality.

That doesn’t get us anywhere.

My experience here tells me (and yes, this is in my head, I own it) that there are some very defensive people here that show indications that they have been hurt and have not been able to stay on and try to complete the road to recovery.

I could be wrong. I don’t expect that anyone would admit to it, even if true.

Anyway, this discussion on free will I have found interesting. I have learned things from the A.I. references that I would not have learned otherwise. Surely not from what others were contributing.

It is generally better to have more information on a particular topic than less in order to make reasoned judgment.

Sorry I’m being a little harsh, but it is what it is from my observations.

Maybe it would be better if you didn’t interact with me if you can see this is where it ends up. We’re not doing anyone any favors by doing so and it takes away from a perfectly good discussion.

Why come in with all the ‘I hate A.I. crap’?

Ok. I’m done venting. Have a nice weekend. From a previous post it sounds like you may be looking forward to a beer or two. 🙂

Enjoy.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:32 pm
…the idea that I will cease to exist after death and that nothing mattered in a grand sense is not a comforting thought for me.
Does that impact the way you live your life? What is it that you have hope in/for?

I came across this organization a while back. You might find it interesting/useful.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/

Regards,
MG