Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 7:13 am
Was it not Emma Smith that had a part in the word of wisdom commandments?

Maybe she was sick of washing all the tea cups.
Emma and the girls grew tired of all the missed tobacco spittle (those spittoons were not huge), and the whiskey and beer bottles that surrounded the cracker barrel after a hard night of testifying during the School of the Prophets at the Newel Whitney store. They pleaded with Joseph to do something about it, and so he came up with his list of health suggestions.

Later in 1851, Brigham Young told the assembly of Mormons at the General Conference that they better follow the Word of Wisdom and go easy on the Valley Tan whiskey that he sold.

By 1870, Young ended the practice of chewing and spitting tobacco in the Salt Lake Tabernacle.

In 1921, LDS Church president Heber J. Grant finally made adherence to the Word of Wisdom a prerequisite for temple admission.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
yellowstone123
High Councilman

Re: Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by yellowstone123 »

Caffeine raises your blood pressure which increases stroke risk. I would choose exercise, eating good food (you can hunt it down and gather it into your shopping cart at your local market) and getting enough sleep.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 pm
What is an unshaped association?
It's when the relationship between a variable and an outcome is not linear, but rather forms a U shape.
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 pm
I remember hearing a story where Nestle went to a 3rd world country. Gave all the women formula and then once the babies were on formula they pulled the aid and then the babies were left with no formula and not enough breast milk because women dried up. Not sure how true it is but it's a bit grim.

I don't understand why these mega rich companies get away with exploitation.
That's so sad.

Me neither.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 pm
I like coffee. I do not see how drinking coffee is morally compromised by child labor in southern Mexico. Economic and family conditions in the area are responsible not coffee beans.
If I buy drugs, wouldn't that contribute to the profit that the drug cartels make? Similarly, isn't buying coffee making those companies that exploit the vulnerable richer?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
bill4long
Bishop

Post by bill4long »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:55 pm
However, the doctor in the video explains, "What the authors found is a U-shaped association, so I do want to exercise caution here. A lot of the time when we look at observational research, we can find these U-shaped association curves. But as we went through earlier, we cannot fully rely on this observational research."
https://youtu.be/eHFCCwgDB9k?si=DkzyNZYw3uNPAcq7&t=332

He did list many possible benefits of drinking coffee, including that coffee is associated with a lower risk of dementia. However, he also mentioned that consuming caffeine late in the day does affect sleep quality.

So, there are pros and cons to drinking coffee, I suppose, but the greatest con is all the exploitation going on. For example, here's a news article about children found working in coffee farms.

"Caffeine Jungle: Child labor, struggling farmers found on 'ethically' certified coffee farms in southern Mexico"
https://abcnews.go.com/US/caffeine-jung ... d=91735230

I see it as a mixed bag; the LDS Church can be praised and criticized for its stance on coffee.
Causation or correlation? No facts in evidence to decide that question.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:11 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 pm
I like coffee. I do not see how drinking coffee is morally compromised by child labor in southern Mexico. Economic and family conditions in the area are responsible not coffee beans.
If I buy drugs, wouldn't that contribute to the profit that the drug cartels make? Similarly, isn't buying coffee making those companies that exploit the vulnerable richer?
Thomas, drug control has involved violence encouraged by the illegality of production and distribution. Coffee does not. I do not see how choosing not to buy coffee is going to give those workers better jobs. It is the lack of better jobs which is the problem. If there were better jobs and families could feed themselves without the children working, then the coffee producers would have to pay more.

Less coffee consumption might mean less coffee production and low paid workers would get laid off from work (and likely without unemployment compensation).
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:38 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:11 pm
Thomas, drug control has involved violence encouraged by the illegality of production and distribution. Coffee does not. I do not see how choosing not to buy coffee is going to give those workers better jobs. It is the lack of better jobs which is the problem. If there were better jobs and families could feed themselves without the children working, then the coffee producers would have to pay more.

Less coffee consumption might mean less coffee production and low paid workers would get laid off from work (and likely without unemployment compensation).
I'm not sure the job is the problem. I think it's the corporations that exploit them. Give them really poor wages and make mega profits. You can get fair trade products though
BeNotDeceived
Elder

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Coffee and tea (especially green tea) are two of the most healthy substances you can consume, in moderation of course. Coffee has over 150 antioxidants in it and green tea does as well, although not being quite as rich in antioxidants. Goes to show you what a sham the so-called 'word of wisdom' is but it was concocted by a con-man in response to Emma complaining about all the tobacco spitting and drinking going on during meetings and so what do we expect? Everything Smith created was fraudulent! The irony... you can drink Coke and energy drinks out the yin yang until you begin to develop diabetes, obesity, heart irryhthmia, lose bone density, your teeth begin to lose their strength, etc. but don't you dare touch coffee or tea that are healthy for you. :lol:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:38 am

Thomas, drug control has involved violence encouraged by the illegality of production and distribution. Coffee does not. I do not see how choosing not to buy coffee is going to give those workers better jobs.
Good point.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

bill4long wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:47 pm

Causation or correlation? No facts in evidence to decide that question.
However, a correlation, especially in the long run, would suggest that there's likely no harm in drinking coffee in moderation and at the right time. A correlation would be good reason to believe (or suspect) that drinking coffee is beneficial for your health.