Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Re: Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by sock puppet »

hauslern wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:09 pm
The highest rates for obesity and diabetes are the southern states. Diabetes in somewhat high in Utah. I think DanP should for his long health need lose some weight.
Down south, they like their guns and grits.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
hauslern
High Councilman

Re: Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by hauslern »

I just cut off soft drinks, cake etc and lost enough weight that I needed to buy new jeans as the others were falling off me. My blood sugar is 75. Lifestyle rather than medicine is better. Some people without diabetes take metformin for weight loss.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:37 pm
hauslern wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:09 pm
The highest rates for obesity and diabetes are the southern states. Diabetes in somewhat high in Utah. I think DanP should for his long health need lose some weight.
Ozempic is becoming really popular and seems to be very effective. It’s least affordable in the states where it is needed the most, sadly.
The GLP-1 pharmaceuticals are really cool, but one of their main downsides (in my opinion) is that they generally don't come with the types of things that other weight loss interventions, such as the various surgeries, come with (like working with a dietician, gradual implementation of exercise regimens, therapy and counseling, etc.). A lot of the studies end up with people losing almost as much muscle mass as fat, and then once they stop taking the GLP-1 agonist, there a high likelihood of all of the weight coming back.

That said, and on the plus side -- other than the case studies of stomach paralysis, it at least seems to be incredibly safe.
hauslern wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:04 pm
I just cut off soft drinks, cake etc and lost enough weight that I needed to buy new jeans as the others were falling off me. My blood sugar is 75. Lifestyle rather than medicine is better. Some people without diabetes take metformin for weight loss.
Congratulations on the weight loss, and lifestyle changes, Hauslern! It's bitter-sweet getting to wear smaller pants... but also having to spend money on a new wardrobe.
hauslern
High Councilman

Post by hauslern »

In the supermarket I see families with fat children, look at their parents and they are the same look in their shopping trolley bottles of Cola, sweets, little vegetables and fruit. I notice when café sells hot chips, a lot of salt poured on, and they come back for a sugar drink.
yellowstone123
High Councilman

Post by yellowstone123 »

I think evolutionary psychologist Robert Wright has it down pretty good when he explains how the brain has a built in algorithms to create illusions that one sugar donut will satisfy your craving. It's an illusion and the free market capitalizes on it. It's a fleeting desire and In ten minutes you will feel empty and want another and another... The human mind does not want you to be happy or satisfied it just wants it's genes into the next generation.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:43 pm
I think evolutionary psychologist Robert Wright has it down pretty good when he explains how the brain has a built in algorithms to create illusions that one sugar donut will satisfy your craving. It's an illusion and the free market capitalizes on it. It's a fleeting desire and In ten minutes you will feel empty and want another and another... The human mind does not want you to be happy or satisfied it just wants it's genes into the next generation.
:lol:

I find it hard to fight cravings.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:48 am
I'm still wondering about the Guns and Grits that Sock Puppet mentioned.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Moksha wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 4:35 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:48 am
No idea... I've heard of grits.
I Have Questions
Bishop

Post by I Have Questions »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:23 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:30 am
I don’t understand why coffee is deemed an evil. It’s not hallucinogenic, it doesn’t lower your moral boundaries as alcohol can be prone to do. It doesn’t make you act out of character. There’s some downsides to drinking to much in too short a period, but those downsides are similar to drinking too much caffeinated soda in too short a period - and that’s not embargoed.

I just don’t get why coffee, and not sugary drinks, for example.
Because the WOW is nonsense since it was created by a con-man as a unique set of guidelines for his concocted religion to make it appear more 'divinely-inspired'. At some point, the corporate execs running this multi-hundred billion dollar real estate corp. which masquerades as a religion are going to have to repeal coffee and tea as off-limits because first, science has proven them both actually healthy for you and second, if they remove coffee and tea as now OK to consume, it will open more doors for potential converts from other cultural backgrounds where coffee and tea are staples of their daily diets (if they're actually even interested at this point in membership numbers increasing when they no longer need tithepayers, although, more members = free labor). :lol:
I suppose my question is why haven’t they? Perhaps they haven’t yet come up with a good enough apologetic for why it was instituted in the first place.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:11 am
Moksha wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 4:35 am
No idea... I've heard of grits.
Grits are like congee made with corn. Guns and Grits sound like a musical group on the country music circuit. Probably big in Texas.

While they still will not allow coffee and tea, students at BYU can drink Coca-Cola on campus without risking expulsion or excommunication.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace