The 2013 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: The 2013 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Bond James Bond »

Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Dr Scratch

I have to add a small but salient point to this award-Dr /Professor Hamblin has gone above and beyond the call of duty in making sure that students in his History 201 classes- sections A and B have no excuse for not knowing what is expected of them. He has dedicated much time and effort to publish the syllabus of requiremetns and schedule in which papers are due and exams are conducted. His work is from my "informant " totally under appreciated by the administration and this has caused Professor Hamblin to curse them , Mormon style, in front of his students. The informant says that he has also been criticized by the Administration for giving a "XXXXX is Butthead' award to the lowest ranking student in each section. Dr Hamblin has rebutted this criticism thus far by indicating that he is simply trying to motivate these low achieving students to reach higher levels of academic excellence.

Perhaps a small pin can be attached to the more prestigious award because Dr Hamblin is not only a first rate Mopologist but also a dedicated educator- truly "a man for all seasons".

Respectfully submitted from the outer foyer

k
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

I just wonder who deserves the "Shaved Sampson Avard" award for their milquetoast contributions to the field. Or would it be the "Shorn Sampson"?
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Absolutely wonderful news. I know Professor Hamblin has suffered through general malaise this past year and receiving the Golden Scepter will most assuredly brighten his spirits.

This is an aha moment especially in light of some of the claims of previous students regarding Professor Hamblin that claim he is "boring and not the friendliest teacher" and "do not take this class it is the most boring class I have ever had and I am a History minor!!!" Likewise, "kind of rude to the students," "very cynical," and "[a] long boring semester."

Or even more insidious claims such as "[Bill] explicitly told us NOT to come to his office hours. he wasted at least 15 mins of every class telling stories. class consisted of looking at powerpoint slides of his vacations in Egypt often acted as though he was superior to students. His famous quote that I'll never forget: "It's your responsibility to learn, not mine to teach you."

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... 5&pageNo=3

I am very excited for Professor Hamblin and this award will most definitely open up doors to him.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Bond James Bond wrote:I just wonder who deserves the "Shaved Sampson Avard" award for their milquetoast contributions to the field. Or would it be the "Shorn Sampson"?

Well, I'm just hoping it's a shaven maven.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

DrW wrote:Dr. Scratch,

Any chance that the honoree will be favoring those here assembled with a short speech acknowledging this high honor and expressing his gratitude to the conclave?

Perhaps the unedited version could be viewed in its entirety in the Telestial Forum.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_David A. Bednar
_Emeritus

Post by _David A. Bednar »

On behalf of the Brethren, many of whom are at this moment polishing up their Conference talks for the morning session, I have been asked by President Monson to send our best wishes to William 'Bonesaw' Hamblin for being this year's proud recipient of the Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award.

Congratulations, Bonesaw!

Perhaps this is the appropriate moment to wish you all our best in your renewed efforts to focus on your career. Indeed, your superiors at the BYU have kept us regularly informed of your new found energy on focusing on the things of God, keeping your pension, and maintaining one of the finest haircuts of any professor at the BYU.

We celebrated your award together in the Temple this morning, while dining on our catered breakfast of croissants, orange slices, and Pepsi, watching your excellent, Tarantino-like production skills evidenced in the linked video below. We hope you will continue to develop those skills when/if you may be needing them in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSADNt99QN0

Again, we are so pleased with your determined re-dedication to the things, not of this world, but to the things of God.

We do pray for your success, William, and hope your book will rise higher in the best sellers list at Deseret Book, with each passing year.

Shalom, William, from all of us at the Church Office Building. :wink:
Ladies, it's time for us to stop accommodating an environment of immodesty and jump out of the water before we get boiled alive by the seductive and evil influences that are a result of continued immodest dress.

My dear wife--Idaho 6th Stake Fireside
_Hermoine

Post by _Hermoine »

An interesting choice. I suppose DCP will be up for nomination next year? LOL
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Hermoine wrote:An interesting choice. I suppose DCP will be up for nomination next year? LOL

Does DCP have plans for making a big Mopologetic splash in 2014?
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

lostindc wrote:
This is an aha moment especially in light of some of the claims of previous students regarding Professor Hamblin that claim he is "boring and not the friendliest teacher" and "do not take this class it is the most boring class I have ever had and I am a History minor!!!" Likewise, "kind of rude to the students," "very cynical," and "[a] long boring semester."

Or even more insidious claims such as "[Bill] explicitly told us NOT to come to his office hours. he wasted at least 15 mins of every class telling stories. class consisted of looking at powerpoint slides of his vacations in Egypt often acted as though he was superior to students. His famous quote that I'll never forget: "It's your responsibility to learn, not mine to teach you."

Wow! I can't imagine how it must feel to be Bill Hamblin and look back on your life's work only to realize that your "scholarship" was never taken seriously and most of your students thought you sucked.

I think even Bill Hamblin realizes at this point that Gerald Bradford and BYU did the right thing.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014