Elder Richard G. Scott's Son Convicted of Felony Forgery(x4)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Richard G. Scott's Son Convicted of Felony Forgery

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Bazooka wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:So David may have pled guilty to a misdemeanor, but I can't tell from the docket.
In the judgements section of each of the listed misdemeanours it states "Guilty". Does that mean he pleaded guilty or that the judge found him guilty?
You're right. I only looked at the specific entry linked above. When I clicked on the other links for the other charges, I saw either "guilty" or "guilty plea." So it appears he was either found guilty or pled guilty on the other charges. Some sound pretty serious, so were likely felonies. He must have done some jail time. It'd be interesting to see what the sentence was for each conviction.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Well I am no lover of Mr. Scott nor his religious rhetoric, but I’m going to cut both him and his son some slack. Both Mr. Scott and his son David Scott are casualties of the Mormon Church.
1. The Son David, grew up in a fatherless home. His dad at best only had contact with his children on rare occasions and I’m guessing rarely held family home evenings with his family. I also feel sorry for his mother (now deceased) who had to carry the load of parenting for the entire family due to Mr. Scotts church forced absence.
2. Mr. Scott I suggest he read his on rhetoric… “Peace at Home” that he shovels on everyone else…for some spiritual comfort in his hour of desperation with the news of his prodigal son.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng

I quote from his address...obviously he was speaking from experience...

I offer some final thoughts for those who love a family member who is not making good choices. That can challenge our patience and endurance. We need to trust in the Lord and in His timing that a positive response to our prayers and rescue efforts can occur. We do all that we can to serve, to bless, and to submissively acknowledge God’s will in all things. We exercise faith and remember that there are some things that must be left to the Lord. He invites us to set our burdens down at His feet. With faith we can know that this straying loved one is not abandoned but is in the watchcare of a loving Savior.

Recognize the good in others, not their stains. At times a stain needs appropriate attention to be cleansed, but always build on his or her virtues.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Tchild
_Emeritus

Post by _Tchild »

We are all human. From what I can tell, the son hasn't been out preaching to people how they ought to live, so, while his actions are illegal, he has paid the price, and beyond that there isn't any judgement...on my part at least.
_kjones
_Emeritus

Post by _kjones »

I believe most if not all of Elder Scott's children are adopted. I have an adopted sister, and I have nephews and nieces who are adopted. It is said that "biology is destiny," and although I don't believe this, the tug of "biology" (i.e., the DNA you are born with) is very strong indeed. I don't know this son of Elder Scott's but I do know a daughter, and this daughter has led a very good life and is raising a very good family. This daughter was an adult at the time of Elder Scott's call to be a GA, and she told me personally what kind of father he'd been (very good) and what he'd meant to her and I'm sure still does mean to her.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Having myself a son who spends way too much time on the wrong side of the law and consequently behind bars, my heart goes out to Richard Scott.

I hope Elder Scott realizes that this is no reflection on him or his parenting, and that his son gets his act together and makes something positive out of his life.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

kjones wrote:I believe most if not all of Elder Scott's children are adopted. I have an adopted sister, and I have nephews and nieces who are adopted. It is said that "biology is destiny," and although I don't believe this, the tug of "biology" (i.e., the DNA you are born with) is very strong indeed. I don't know this son of Elder Scott's but I do know a daughter, and this daughter has led a very good life and is raising a very good family. This daughter was an adult at the time of Elder Scott's call to be a GA, and she told me personally what kind of father he'd been (very good) and what he'd meant to her and I'm sure still does mean to her.

Richard only has one blood related daughter, Mary Lee. All of his other children were adopted. David, I believe, was adopted as a young child rather than a baby. They also had one other child, a son, naturally. He died of kidney failure when he was quite young.

As far as the charges are concerned, yes, David has had some trouble with the law. I am unfamiliar with all of the details. It sounds like you guys know more about it than I do.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

consiglieri wrote:Having myself a son who spends way too much time on the wrong side of the law and consequently behind bars, my heart goes out to Richard Scott.

I hope Elder Scott realizes that this is no reflection on him or his parenting, and that his son gets his act together and makes something positive out of his life.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Thank you, Consig. :biggrin:

As far as I am aware, David is doing much better now.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _harmony »

And this dirt is here why? It was a decade ago. Are we so lacking in current topics of interest, we have to dig up trash from a decade ago?

Good grief.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

harmony wrote:And this dirt is here why? It was a decade ago. Are we so lacking in current topics of interest, we have to dig up trash from a decade ago?

Good grief.

Yep! Consider the source.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

harmony wrote:And this dirt is here why? It was a decade ago. Are we so lacking in current topics of interest, we have to dig up trash from a decade ago?

Good grief.

Good grief, harmony. Why are all of your posts such downers? Your comments seem to suck all the life and joy out of the room.

When I read your posts, I feel like I need to pop some Prozac.

We miss the old harmony.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014