Did Chaffetz use "Lyin' for the Lord" as an excuse?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Did Chaffetz use "Lyin' for the Lord" as an excuse?

Post by _moksha »

Presenting mistaken information seems to be a pattern with Chaffetz. Most likely he has former members of the BYU debate team on his staff tailoring the information to suit Chaffetz's needs at that moment.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I think it's lying for the Lord mixed in with Colbert's concept of "truthiness." He probably feels the general point he is making is correct, that PP is a bunch of scumbags, and therefore any chart that persuades others to that essential truth is fair game.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

moksha wrote:Presenting mistaken information seems to be a pattern with Chaffetz. Most likely he has former members of the BYU debate team on his staff tailoring the information to suit Chaffetz's needs at that moment.

So DCP and Hambone are now claiming to be former members of the BYU debate team?
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Elphaba wrote:I realize Chaffetz was not representing the LDS Church in this, but it occurs to me that perhaps having grown up in an organization that encourages "Lyin' for the Lord" when defending the Church against outsiders and critics makes him think it's acceptable to also lie when defending other subjects he deems just as important, such as, in this case, his stridently anti-abortion position. Your thoughts?

When I was very young, Chaffetz and his wife moved into my neighborhood/ward. I still remember his welcome-talk (is that what it's called?), with it's self-mockery about his BYU football career.

I remember, though, that part of his shtick was how he grew up Jewish and a democrat. It was only BYU that showed him the truth of Mormonism and conservative politics.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_MissTish
_Emeritus

Post by _MissTish »

Symmachus wrote:I remember, though, that part of his shtick was how he grew up Jewish and a democrat. It was only BYU that showed him the truth of Mormonism and conservative politics.

Oy gevalt.
People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy.- Super Hans

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.- H. L. Mencken
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

After college, Chaffetz worked in public relations for multi-level marketing company Nu Skin International for about a decade. Chaffetz became a Republican after meeting Ronald Reagan in 1990, when Reagan visited Chaffetz's employer, Nu Skin, as a motivational speaker.
-- Wikipedia
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

At least he didn't hold up Hyram Smiths personal Book of Mormon.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Elphaba wrote:In this video of the House's hearing on Planned Parenthood, Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz presented a chart to PP's president Cecile Richards claiming the number of cancer-related visits to PP had dropped dramatically while the number of abortions had risen equally dramatically. Richards, of course, questioned the validity of the chart, to which Chaffetz claimed "I pulled those numbers directly out of your corporate reports." It turns out that was a lie, as Chaffetz had nothing to do with the creation of the chart. Instead, he had acquired it from an anti-abortion organization "Americans United for Life."

I realize Chaffetz was not representing the LDS Church in this, but it occurs to me that perhaps having grown up in an organization that encourages "Lyin' for the Lord" when defending the Church against outsiders and critics makes him think it's acceptable to also lie when defending other subjects he deems just as important, such as, in this case, his stridently anti-abortion position. Your thoughts?

I think it's primarily conservative Republican identity politics governing the construction of their rhetoric.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Chaffetz is now trying to promote himself as a candidate for Speaker of the House. If elected, perhaps he could do an altered rendition of Master of the House from Les Misérables.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Chaffetz was on the TV news tonight. He mentioned all the positive reaction he has received in his bid for being Speaker of the House.