Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Position

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Posit

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Calmoriah is already making excuses.

Cal wrote:He kept his calling after confessing to asking a woman to show him her breasts?

I find that very hard to believe.
http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/719 ... -released/

Really Cal? You find that hard to believe?

Joseph Smith was caught diddling a 14 year old in a barn, and yet he still kept his calling as a prophet.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Jospeh Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, kept his MTC posit

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

MsJack wrote:Probably claim that he had dementia when he admitted this, so his confession isn't reliable.

You are indeed a prophetess, MsJack.

Calmoriah wrote:Does anyone here believe this is anything but dementia?

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/719 ... -released/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

The problem is McKenna was the worst possible witness in this case. Bishop is/was a creeper but when you’re left with McKenna as the victim, it’s easy for the defenders of the faith to create excuses for Bishop/church.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Sanctorian wrote:The problem is McKenna was the worst possible witness in this case. Bishop is/was a creeper but when you’re left with McKenna as the victim, it’s easy for the defenders of the faith to create excuses for Bishop/church.

The problem is that bishop targeted vulnerable women in the MTC. The problem is that the church mishandled known sexual predation, and victims suffered more.

We likely would not be hearing about Bishop at all, without Denson. She's the victim who is still alive and talking yet perhaps doesn't have as much left to lose by coming forward into the spotlight.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

This is really pissing my TBM wife off at the church. She happens to know of a current sitting bishop who molested a girl when he was a teen and has been writing letters to try to get him released. Church has taken no action. He interviews kids alone behind closed doors to this day.

I showed her this article yesterday and she was pretty mad at the church. I've been keeping her up-to-date on the Joseph Bishop thing and we had just spoken about Denson's credibility issues on Friday night. I also mentioned how BYUPD was fighting the release of the taped interview because it probably contains something embarrassing to the church. Wife suggested that Denson's accusation might be true and the rape might be what set Denson on the path she ended up on. I'm not so sure, but I thought it was interesting that my TBM wife is sympathizing with Denson on this.

So along comes Sunday's article that confirms that indeed there is an embarrassing bombshell that shows why BYUPD/the church is hiding the interview. The church is doing a great job at losing my wife's confidence right now.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_esodije
_Emeritus

Post by _esodije »

From Page 37 of Denson's "interview" with Bishop in December 2017:

Bishop: What I remember about the basement was different.

Denson: Oh?

Bishop: Uh-huh. You had had an operation, a breast enhancement.

Denson: No (laughs). No. I had no boobs at 21 years old.

Bishop: Well, you'd talked about it because you had no boobs at 21. I thought you'd had a new...

Denson: Why would I have, why would we talk about having a boob job at 21 and you thinking I'd had a boob job when I had no breasts whatsoever?

Bishop: I, yeah.

So, did Denson change her story at some point in time to make it jibe with Bishop's memories? I'd say, based on Denson's remarks in December 2017, that if Bishop asked some sister missionary in the MTC to show him her breasts, it certainly wasn't Denson.

On the other hand, of course, it's been conclusively determined that Denson has no credibility, whereas Bishop's memory is impeccable and he couldn't possibly, in his old age, be conflating old events or even remembering things that never happened. (The church sprang for a sister missionary's boob job? From fast offerings, no doubt.) So if Bishop said all this to the BYU/Provo police, it's obviously true and proves absolutely that the church is false.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

esodije wrote:So if Bishop said all this to the BYU/Provo police, it's obviously true and proves absolutely that the church is false.

How is this story related to proving the church is false?

You really don't even have to read the article, esodije, you could just read the headline to get the point.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Who is claiming that the church paid for a boob job? I must have missed that part.

ETA: Nevermind, I just listened to the audio and Bishop makes the claim.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Joseph Smith was caught diddling a 14 year old in a barn, and yet he still kept his calling as a prophet.

In FAIRness, she was actually 16.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

It seems like it would be very strange that the church would pay for a breast augmentation. If that happened, someone went off-script. I can see some scenarios where that could happen. Since bishops are given discretion of fast offering funds, I could see a rogue bishop just writing the check, which would be consistent with Bishop's account that some other leaders were worked up about the church paying for the surgery and he was defending her.

Seems far-fetched that this would happen, but then again so does all that church funding misuse that happened in the Netherlands a few years ago. The fact is, where there is money, there is a chance of misuse of money.

Not to be crude here, but are there any pictures of Denson in the MTC? It should be easy to tell the difference between someone who had augmentation surgery and someone with "no boobs." Denson may not be the one he is talking about, or Denson may not have told the truth.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas