Did The Church Break Up Families Post-Manifesto?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Did The Church Break Up Families Post-Manifesto?

Post by _Shulem »

Yahoo Bot wrote:Last edited by Yahoo Bot on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Busy as a bee.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Fiannan wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thanks Maksutov.

I don't think I've ever heard about what happened to the thousands of families post-Manifesto. I wish I could find a resource to learn more. From what little information I can piece together, most of these families were split up.

The whole polygamy debacle was a real tragedy.

Yet who was the real villain, the LDS faith or the US government?

The church. They broke the laws, they lied, they exploited and abused. And then they murdered innocent people at the meadows. All of that cool with you? And don't play silly games about how it wasn't the church, it was some random a*holes around Cedar City. We know that they prayed for guidance and inspiration the night before the murder.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I have to side with the church bearing responsibility for whatever suffering the abandoned plural wives and children went through. The church was the cause of the doctrine and abandoned it when financial pressure and jail time happened. It should have demanded that those who abandoned the practice not abandon their families and the church itself should have stepped up to the plate. Spousal support and child support should have been ordered and enforced and church support should have been liberal.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr Exiled wrote:I have to side with the church bearing responsibility for whatever suffering the abandoned plural wives and children went through. The church was the cause of the doctrine and abandoned it when financial pressure and jail time happened. It should have demanded that those who abandoned the practice not abandon their families and the church itself should have stepped up to the plate. Spousal support and child support should have been ordered and enforced and church support should have been liberal.

Excellent point. The doctrine of Find them, Polygamate them and Forget them should not have been followed.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace