Holland skewers nuanced believers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Holland skewers nuanced believers

Post by dastardly stem »

Holland loves jesus too much.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Dwight wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:23 pm
I don't know when the shift happened, but I used to view Holland's boldness as somewhat refreshing, but at some point it became like IHAQ says, it changed to him appearing to be insecure and pleading for others to believe and reassure him. I guess the cognitive dissonance has got him down.
He got radicalized like many religious fundamentalists once he realized that his viewpoints are viewed as absurd and irrational by most people in his country. It's unfortunate that so many fundamentalists have become immensely angry once they figured out that they were not the majority.

They need to just accept that they will never come close to persuading people and just adopt an Amish-style attitude toward the "heathen" world.
jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:38 am
IHAQ wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:09 am
It seems to me that Holland is inwardly very insecure. To counter that he makes bold, blustering statements[.]
Hmm. If you're correct, then the possibility exists that his bombastic waving of the Book of Mormon around, saying that Joseph & Hyrum wouldn't have given their lives for it if it wasn't true, etc. was an attempt to convince himself of its truthfulness as opposed to anyone else. . . right?
I remember that talk. I was TBM at the time, and felt so moved by the spirit that I shared it with my father (who was investigating the church at the time). Looking back on it, I can see how manipulative and dismissive it was.

Whatever his motivations, if you want to believe, his rhetoric can be a very powerful tool.