Hard Evidence of Ancient American Horses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Re: Hard Evidence of Ancient American Horses

Post by Bret Ripley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:12 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:00 pm
Very cool to see 'Head Smashed In ...' mentioned. It has been a while, but in years past I spent a lot of time in that area and visited 'Head Smashed In ...' several times. I knew a cattle guy who owned land just west of there, and on his land were cairn stone markers that had seemingly been used to help coordinate these hunts.

(Extra credit if you headed north to the Bar U Ranch where, among other things, you can see employment records pertaining to former ranch hand Harry Longabaugh, a.k.a. Sundance Kid.)
Alas, this is the first I’ve heard of the Bar U, so no extra credit for me. For all the times I’ve traveled from NW Washington to Southern Alberta, I’ve rarely taken time to be a tourist — I’ve been traveling to and from visiting family. Next time I head for Lethbridge, I should make a real road trip out of it. Thanks for the tip!
If you haven't already had the chance: I found the Frank Slide Interpretive Centre to be well worth the stop. It's just off Hwy 3 (Crowsnest Pass) about an hour-and-a-half before you get to Lethbridge.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Hard Evidence of Ancient American Horses

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:50 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:12 pm

Alas, this is the first I’ve heard of the Bar U, so no extra credit for me. For all the times I’ve traveled from NW Washington to Southern Alberta, I’ve rarely taken time to be a tourist — I’ve been traveling to and from visiting family. Next time I head for Lethbridge, I should make a real road trip out of it. Thanks for the tip!
If you haven't already had the chance: I found the Frank Slide Interpretive Centre to be well worth the stop. It's just off Hwy 3 (Crowsnest Pass) about an hour-and-a-half before you get to Lethbridge.

That’s a stop I’ve made a few times. The Center is amazing. Whenever I drive through the site of the slide, I find myself growing silent, with a feeling of awe and dread.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.