Witnesses Trailer a Triumph

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Witnesses Trailer a Triumph

Post by Physics Guy »

They really have someone in the film saying that the original plates were just a prop? Isn't that kind of like blowing a hole in the bottom of your ship just as you set sail?

Nothing they can show in the film can possibly be inconsistent with the plates having been a prop ... because the plates in the film are a prop. If it can be shown on film with a prop, it could have happened with a prop originally.

Isn't this going to occur to a lot of viewers?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'm a little confused. There's going to be a movie and an accompanying documentary. Are we clear on whether the trailer is just the movie?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 pm
I'm a little confused. There's going to be a movie and an accompanying documentary. Are we clear on whether the trailer is just the movie?
Good question, RI. I don’t know the answer.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I felt bad reading that Witnesses Sic et Non column, where Dr. Peterson mentions that three more Interpreter Foundation donors have pulled out due to his non-support for the treasonous trainwreck known as Trump.

Perhaps these fair-weather LDS donors will be putting their money into California Proposition #666 which will repeal all democratic elections and award all future votes to Chancellor Trump.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:29 am
I felt bad reading that Witnesses Sic et Non column, where Dr. Peterson mentions that three more Interpreter Foundation donors have pulled out due to his non-support for the treasonous trainwreck known as Trump.

Perhaps these fair-weather LDS donors will be putting their money into California Proposition #666 which will repeal all democratic elections and award all future votes to Chancellor Trump.
I feel badly about that too, and I am being completely sincere here. People who donate should do so because they see value in the project, and they presumably saw quality and promise in the project up to this point. Why they would let an ephemeral politician get in the way is beyond me.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Professor Peterson was kind enough to contact me in order to set me straight on the nature of this "trailer." It is a kind of project overview that combines elements of the film and the documentary. The trailer that is being shown in Megaplex Theaters is professionally produced. We have no access to that at present, unless we can get to a Megaplex Theater.

When the time of the film's release draws nigh, the professionally produced trailer will be published online.

Both Ann Taves and John Butler are almost certainly going to be in the documentary, and, as many of you already know, neither is a member of the LDS Church.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:59 pm
They really have someone in the film saying that the original plates were just a prop? Isn't that kind of like blowing a hole in the bottom of your ship just as you set sail?

Nothing they can show in the film can possibly be inconsistent with the plates having been a prop ... because the plates in the film are a prop. If it can be shown on film with a prop, it could have happened with a prop originally.

Isn't this going to occur to a lot of viewers?
That's a great point. I am sure some will make the connection regarding the film prop and Joseph Smith creating a prop that remained hidden from everyone to avoid exposure of the hoax.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:08 pm
Professor Peterson was kind enough to contact me in order to set me straight on the nature of this "trailer." It is a kind of project overview that combines elements of the film and the documentary. The trailer that is being shown in Megaplex Theaters is professionally produced. We have no access to that at present, unless we can get to a Megaplex Theater.

When the time of the film's release draws nigh, the professionally produced trailer will be published online.

Both Ann Taves and John Butler are almost certainly going to be in the documentary, and, as many of you already know, neither is a member of the LDS Church.
Thanks for passing that along, Kish. And thanks also to Peterson for clearing up my confusion.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I'm not sharing the excitement.

I see Taves suggesting something more along the lines of "I think....there weren't actual plates that were hundreds or thousands of years old..."
I'm not seeing a reason for the plates as it pertains to the Book of Mormon story at all. Why are the plates seen as something that even needs to be considered?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:59 pm
I'm not sharing the excitement.

I see Taves suggesting something more along the lines of "I think....there weren't actual plates that were hundreds or thousands of years old..."
I'm not seeing a reason for the plates as it pertains to the Book of Mormon story at all. Why are the plates seen as something that even needs to be considered?
I guess I am not following, stem. Would you mind expatiating on your question a bit?