Anonymous Source Confirms Hit Piece

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: Anonymous Source Confirms Hit Piece

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I thought that some here would be interested to know the full title of the "hit piece":

"Dubious Mormon Stories that John Dehlin Tells to Me: A Twenty-First Century Construction of Apostasy Narratives."

Students of Mopologetics will, of course, be fascinated at the fact that the hoary old "apostasy narratives" gambit was resurrected for this "article."
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

Doctor Scratch wrote:I thought that some here would be interested to know the full title of the "hit piece":

"Dubious Mormon Stories that John Dehlin Tells to Me: A Twenty-First Century Construction of Apostasy Narratives."

Oh my heavens! Not quite as nastily titled as Blair Hodges's "Stillborn," but this is still pretty rotten. Those commercial apologists can sure get ornery when they get so filled with hatred for the material and authors they're "reviewing."

PS - I was going to link to Blair Hodges's disgustingly titled "Stillborn" so all could behold the filth with their own gluzzies, but it looks as though the Maxwell Institute has removed it from their site: http://maxwellinstitute.BYU.edu/authors/?authorID=692

How curious!
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Wiki Wonka sure seems to know an awful lot about what Greg Smith does and thinks and wants..........makes one wonder doesn't it?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_wayfarer
_Emeritus

Post by _wayfarer »

Doctor Scratch wrote:I thought that some here would be interested to know the full title of the "hit piece":

Students of Mopologetics will, of course, be fascinated at the fact that the hoary old "apostasy narratives" gambit was resurrected for this "article."

clearly not a "hit piece"................
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

This matches intel that I received from my source, who referred to "some sort of lame theoretical material in there (something about group dynamics?) that was just a cover for the real nature of the article."

My guess is that this stuff about "twenty-first century construction of apostasy narratives" is related to that.

So, I think I understand now. Wiki Wonka is probably focusing on this theoretical smokescreen which he probably finds interesting and insightful, much as the people who read the latest MMM book were dazzled by a cursory discussion of "violence theory" therein. It does indeed look like the author upped his game, so to speak. But, if my source is correct, then it was in the service of the same tired task of smearing Dehlin, which is obviously indicated in the title and backed up by the various reports I have received from those who read it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:

Oh my heavens! Not quite as nastily titled as Blair Hodges's "Stillborn," but this is still pretty rotten. Those commercial apologists can sure get ornery when they get so filled with hatred for the material and authors they're "reviewing."

PS - I was going to link to Blair Hodges's disgustingly titled "Stillborn" so all could behold the filth with their own gluzzies, but it looks as though the Maxwell Institute has removed it from their site: http://maxwellinstitute.BYU.edu/authors/?authorID=692

How curious!

Holy crap---you're right. It looks like they've yanked every single volume from 2008 on.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:

How curious!

It looks like everything after 2007 has been removed.

How much more curious!
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Huh. The manipulation of the concept of an apostasy narrative existed at the MAD board because Juliann, being kinda dumb, badly misunderstood a college class she was taking and thought she had some opportunity to score points against LDS apostates.* It'd be wild if Greg Smith, through his exposure to that board culture, somehow got infected with that thinking and wanted to carry it over to a serious attempt at a paper that was going to be published somewhere. That's speculating a lot based merely on a title, but if that were the case I'd find it humorous enough to draw me in to read.

If Smith was using the term apostasy narrative as it normally is used on MAD, that isn't a reference to mere apostasy. It refers to a particular kind of defector who develops a narrative of the evil nature of the his or her former organization via their personal experience of being captured and escaping/ being rescued. They then go on to try and warn others. Think counter-cult stories. Or people who "escape" from FLDS compounds.

*Readers with a good memory might also remember that as part of this she often argued that rational choice theory, which sociologists of religion employ, demonstrates that academics accept that religious beliefs are chosen in the doxastic volunteerism sense. This is a special kind of wrong only someone like Juliann can manage, but it ties into another thread going on here right now.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

sock puppet wrote:It looks like everything after 2007 has been removed.

How much more curious!

You know what this means?

GREG SMITH'S OEUVRE HAS VANISHED!!!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

sock puppet wrote:It looks like everything after 2007 has been removed.

How much more curious!

Garbage in garbage out but it took a while!
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015