5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: 5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed...

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I'll return to the above tomorrow and see what I want to do with your questions. That is, assuming you're not misleading me again.

;-)

My questions are to the board in general, feel free to contribute...or not...

Thanks, I think I will.

You need to stop disrespecting me, I hold the Priesthood.

I didn't really need to know what you're holding, but thanks.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:

If you want to start a thread about the posters you admire most, I hope you will feel free to do so. I am sure many people will want to join in the fun!

My gosh. Someone makes a recommend to two (three, actually) on-board resources and you can't let go of it, wth. You've created an entire sub topic about it on this thread. Again, wth.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Fionn wrote:Are there any contemporary Jewish sources who wrote about Jesus? Seems to me that is where one might find some mention of him.

Josephus is one, but I think people challenge his references as inauthentic.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The Saul of Tarsus story reads a lot like a faith-promoting testimonkey. Heavy on the feels, and light on the realz.

Good thing Mr. Saul met, and conversed with Jesus Christ, amiright?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:The Saul of Tarsus story reads a lot like a faith-promoting testimonkey. Heavy on the feels, and light on the realz.

- Doc

He never met Jesus the Christ in the flesh. He claimed to have encountered the resurrected Christ. His entire body of work (well, this is my opinion) has to do with testifying to that encounter, inspiration, affirmation/support, criticisms, and growing the church to the Gentiles.

Paul was a church planter. His entire ministry was about growing the church and his story isn't about documenting the earthly life of Jesus. His story is one of transformation.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:The Saul of Tarsus story reads a lot like a faith-promoting testimonkey. Heavy on the feels, and light on the realz.

- Doc

He never met Jesus the Christ in the flesh. He claimed to have encountered the resurrected Christ. His entire body of work (well, this is my opinion) has to do with testifying to that encounter, inspiration, affirmation/support, criticisms, and growing the church to the Gentiles.

Paul was a church planter. His entire ministry was about growing the church and his story isn't about documenting the earthly life of Jesus. His story is one of transformation.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken there was some early Christian powerplays between Mr. Saul and others. I liken Saul to BY, in that he assholed his way into the narrative, and eventually made a living on the new enterprise.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Fionn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fionn »

Jersey Girl wrote:

They do. And with good reason, in my opinion. I'm aware of the Testimonium. My understanding is Josephus was not actually a contemporary of Jesus, so that puts him more in the category of Paul. Early, but never met Jesus.

I meant specifically the various priestly casts of Judaism at the time. Certainly, given what was going on, there would be mention of this Jewish Rabbi/Miracle Worker somewhere among his fellow Jews?
Everybody loves a joke
But no one likes a fool.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Fionn wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

They do. And with good reason, in my opinion. I'm aware of the Testimonium. My understanding is Josephus was not actually a contemporary of Jesus, so that puts him more in the category of Paul. Early, but never met Jesus.

I meant specifically the various priestly casts of Judaism at the time. Certainly, given what was going on, there would be mention of this Jewish Rabbi/Miracle Worker somewhere among his fellow Jews?

I wouldn't know. Can you point me to the writings of Jewish historians or scholars that wrote about faith healers and potential prophets that forward a theology other than their own?
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese Proverb
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Fionn wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Fionn,
what Jewish commentaries of contemporary events from the first half of the first century have you reviewed? What did they find it important to discuss?
_Fionn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fionn »

huckelberry wrote:
Fionn,

what Jewish commentaries of contemporary events from the first half of the first century have you reviewed? What did they find it important to discuss?

I haven't found anything. Hence my question. It occurred to me a while ago to look for such things, but this is not my area of historical exptertise. Perhaps that's why I'm having such a difficult time finding anything. I'm not certain where I should begin.

Do you have any suggestions?
Everybody loves a joke
But no one likes a fool.