Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Re: Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

Post by _cwald »

I have a question wrote:I referenced that earlier (it's on the previous page of the thread) and yes, it's a good article.

Yes. Sorry about that. Oh well, in long threads these nuggets sometimes get lost and need to be reposted.

I'm not finding any reference that is saying the Motab is backing out of their commitment. Eagerly awaiting DrW return.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

DrW wrote:
I have a question wrote:
It's still being widely reported that they are performing.
Of course, The Church has once again managed to self manipulate into a lose-lose situation because the 15 old white men in Salt Lake City have not the first clue how to run the Church within the principles and morals they expect their members to uphold. Shambolic ineptitude.

Okay. Now I gotta' go find the reference.

Be back as soon as I do.

Thanks, IHAQ.

Okay. Found it. Apparently, I do NOT recall correctly.

The article is here from the Daily Beast (not Huff Post):

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/01/a-list-s-trump-snub-hits-him-where-it-hurts.html

The article title is:

A-List’s Trump Snub Hits Him Where It Hurts
Ultimately, denying Trump and Trumpism the cultural approval they crave is an important statement.

The mis-remembered text is as follows.

Daily Beast wrote:Republicans are putting on their “smug faces” and scoffing at the raft of celebrity performers, Rockettes and now even a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, who are refusing to raise their microphones, kick up their bare-legged heels or otherwise perform for Donald Trump at his inaugural.

Apologies for raising hopes.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

From a PR perspective the Church (and the MoTab) are now screwed either way.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

DrW wrote:
Apologies for raising hopes.

DAMN YOU!

:mad:
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question wrote:Petition is nearing 35,000
https://www.change.org/p/the-church-of- ... auguration

I read the article and took a look at the comments. Used the link to a story about the woman who is refusing to perform and stating her reasons. From what I hear, some of the RCMH Rockettes aren't too cracked about this either.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

I have a question wrote:

Petition is nearing 35,000

Interesting. But then again, what president has been perfect? Would there be such an uproar if they would be singing for clinton if she won? No. What about Obama? No. Would Obama's support for gay marriage matter for these people who are signing the petition? No. Such is life in the USA. Much hypocrisy.

With prop. 8 many of these people would be on the opposite side from the church. But lets keep that a secret.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
I read the article and took a look at the comments. Used the link to a story about the woman who is refusing to perform and stating her reasons. From what I hear, some of the RCMH Rockettes aren't too cracked about this either.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Trump turned out to be a good president? Many faces will have egg on them. I will bet a penny that many of these dancers would have had no problem dancing for Bill in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7vjrc6POg8

Life is strange....so many A listers for Bill even though many women were claiming sexual harrassment during his campaign: :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

why me wrote:
I have a question wrote:

Petition is nearing 35,000

Interesting. But then again, what president has been perfect? Would there be such an uproar if they would be singing for clinton if she won? No. What about Obama? No. Would Obama's support for gay marriage matter for these people who are signing the petition? No. Such is life in the USA. Much hypocrisy.

With prop. 8 many of these people would be on the opposite side from the church. But lets keep that a secret.

Is this a Red Herring?

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

why me wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Trump turned out to be a good president? Many faces will have egg on them. I will bet a penny that many of these dancers would have had no problem dancing for Bill in 1993.

Here's the thing. We're talking about individual choices. I can see how some people think the LDS woman who bowed out is being hypocritical because Utah voted red. But again, the Rockettes who are refusing to perform, the LDS folks who want to disassociate or even resign church membership on account of this those are individual choices that don't require criticism.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

cwald wrote:
Is this a Red Herring?

No, just hypocrisy. But such is life today...when people are solely guided by false emotion, given to them by the media. Remember the Iraq war and how the media hoodwinked the american people in supporting it? False emotion.
Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith