Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

Post by _Brackite »

From a PR perspective the Church (and the MoTab) are now screwed either way.

Well, then the MoTab just needs to stick it out and sing at Trump's inauguration. And Trump has basically lived most of his life as a Mormon by having children with three different woman and by not drinking. It really shouldn't be that uncomfortable for them to sing at his inauguration.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

You need to understand why the electoral college was instituted. It was to take power away from the cities so that it could be spread to the more rural areas and to the frontier where additional states would form etc or where americans would be living.

Back when the electoral college was instituted, they did not have automobiles, radio, television, or the Internet. There is really no logical reason for the United States to continue to have the electoral college.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Brackite wrote:
You need to understand why the electoral college was instituted. It was to take power away from the cities so that it could be spread to the more rural areas and to the frontier where additional states would form etc or where americans would be living.

Back when the electoral college was instituted, they did not have automobiles, radio, television, or the Internet. There is really no logical reason for the United States to continue to have the electoral college.

Without the electoral college, there would be no reason to campaign in states with low populations. The electoral college assures that every state and every vote counts. Of course, I understand why liberals and progressives wish to abolish it. However, if the shoe was on the other foot, calls to abandon the electoral college would be muted by the democrats. It is just the way it is.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Some further explanation...

American Fork • If you thought soprano Jan Chamberlin was merely humming a partisan tune when she decided to bow out of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir over its plans to sing at Republican Donald Trump's inauguration, you'd be wrong.

"I don't belong to either party. I'm an independent," she said Tuesday. "I voted for [independent presidential candidate] Evan McMullin."

No, it was a "moral issue." That's why Chamberlin, a Utah County voice teacher who has been with the famed choir for five years, could not simply skip putting her name in the lottery that would choose volunteers to sing at the Jan. 20 event.

She wanted instead to raise public awareness about what she sees as the incoming president's lurking fascism and potential damage to her beloved chorus's reputation.
http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4777584-155/video-moral-issue-not-politics-led

What of her fellow set-apart missionary (temple recommend holding) choir members...

The impetus for her resignation, she said, was a "nasty" Facebook post from a fellow choir member, dubbing those who declined to participate as "unpatriotic" or not "faithful to the faith," and suggesting they quit.

"That rattled me," Chamberlin said, and launched an internal struggle and a ton of praying. Ultimately, she decided she needed to do more.

Nice.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I wonder how people in the CAB are feeling today about their decision to put the choir up for singing...

Eric Hawkins had a bad 2016, he's having an awful 2017.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:It might be a good idea for Donald Trump to get on the phone with Vladimir Putin and arrange for Russian opera singer Anna Netrebko and a dozen dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet to perform. Invite the members of the Russian government hacking program, who helped Donald Trump attain the Presidency, as well. With their hacking skills, they could rig up a system to play some of Beyonce's yet to be released hit singles.

Hey! The Motab choir could sing along while the dancers dance.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."