Epic Mormonism Live on Rosebud Accusations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
The Stig
Valiant B

Re: Epic Mormonism Live on Rosebud Accusations

Post by The Stig »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 pm
Why can't James just tell everyone what Anne wants John to say? Because then Anne can't spend the rest of her and John's life dredging this up over and over.

Closure was never the goal. Retribution and payback is.
I think your summary may be exactly right.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 pm

JP -- just do yourself and all of us a favor. Post right here in this thread, specifically, word-for-word, the language you and Rosebud want to hear come out of John's mouth on MS podcast. This will go a long way to clearing up any confusion about what is being demanded for the sake of closure.
You strike me as the kind of person who, when having done something wrong, offers a "I'm sorry you felt I did something wrong" kind of apology.
Feel free to insult me as a dodge. But you are dodging. It's a very simple request. Keep in mind, Rosebud lost the case. The law and board investigation are on John's side. So yes, you should be specific. It isn't hard.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:03 pm
Bold mine. WTF. How does it matter in the slightest way to you or Rosebud what John says about the church's efforts to delegitimize him? You're straining credulity with this particular demand, as it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Rosebud or you. You might as well sit at home and yell at the screen watching sports.
JP’s LDS allies of convenience will certainly be pleased to see this line of attack.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 pm
So, to me, accountability would be John using the exact same platform he has for years used (his podcast) to make blanket denials, and come out and take public accountability for the fact that he has made serious errors in judgement, not only in his professional behavior with Open Stories Foundation, but in seeking to cover up that behavior and blame the Church for trying to smear him.
Let's just keep this up front. JP says that if John will admit to *something* on his podcast, then that constitutes accountability. It should be over with that. Now, if JP or Rosebud will just state what, exactly, they're asking John to say, then maybe all of the cryptic allusions can end and closure can at last be found.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

drumdude wrote:
Why can't James just tell everyone what Anne wants John to say? Because then Anne can't spend the rest of her and John's life dredging this up over and over.

Why can't she just post it here herself? She's a registered member here.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:12 am
drumdude wrote:

That, too. But, might as well start with the intermediary she's thrown out there to take those bullets for her.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The Stig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:14 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:12 am

That, too. But, might as well start with the intermediary she's thrown out there to take those bullets for her.
Disagree. This is her fight. Let her post what she wants on this board herself. Let her plant a flag. Throw down the gauntlet. Let her draw up the terms and conditions that she herself wants by her own hand upon the board.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 am
The Stig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:14 am

Disagree. This is her fight. Let her post what she wants on this board herself. Let her plant a flag. Throw down the gauntlet. Let her draw up the terms and conditions that she herself wants by her own hand upon the board.
If only it were that easy. She seems to have taken to the use of representatives. I, for one, would welcome her participation in this thread rather than all of this proxy nonsense from JP, but she can't be forced to say anything and the only one willing to speak for her side of the matter at this point is JP. So, we are stuck with what we've got.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

The Stig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 am
If only it were that easy. She seems to have taken to the use of representatives. I, for one, would welcome her participation in this thread rather than all of this proxy nonsense from JP, but she can't be forced to say anything and the only one willing to speak for her side of the matter at this point is JP. So, we are stuck with what we've got.
Fine, so if JP is speaking with her and for her, then all he needs to do is put some language and clarity behind the demand for some kind of public mea culpa. John may disagree with the demands, but at least JP has FINALLY told us what Rosebud wants, which is some kind of public apology.
JPatterson wrote:So, to me, accountability would be John using the exact same platform he has for years used (his podcast) to make blanket denials, and come out and take public accountability for the fact that he has made serious errors in judgement, not only in his professional behavior with Open Stories Foundation, but in seeking to cover up that behavior and blame the Church for trying to smear him.
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 am
The Stig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 am
Fine, so if JP is speaking with her and for her, then all he needs to do is put some language and clarity behind the demand for some kind of public mea culpa. John may disagree with the demands, but at least JP has FINALLY told us what Rosebud wants, which is some kind of public apology.
JPatterson wrote:So, to me, accountability would be John using the exact same platform he has for years used (his podcast) to make blanket denials, and come out and take public accountability for the fact that he has made serious errors in judgement, not only in his professional behavior with Open Stories Foundation, but in seeking to cover up that behavior and blame the Church for trying to smear him.
I suspect (and I think you do as well) that unless it is ACTUALLY word-for-word what Rosebud wants, it will still be a source of contention and criticism from her. Even then, my confidence level is low given the last 10 years.