Scathing article on Romney and Mormon questions ....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

The Nehor wrote:Answering questions will encourage more questions. He may satisfy a few but does the rest of the nation want a President that is barraged with tons of religious questions and takes the time to answer them.

If he's not smart enough to deal with this situation, maybe we don't need him in the White House.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

the Book god is not great is a worthless rant full of distortions and part truths. Hitchens is an idiot. He does not serve the atheist view well.

Much like The God Delusion and its author.
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Apparently one's religion is an issue for Mitt -- see link below for an article about Mitt's saying he would not put a Muslim in a high-ranking job in his administration.

And neither would any President, if he had any sense, under present circumstances (unless that Muslim was so squeaky clean you could see his teeth gleaming from the Washington Monument).

Liberals amuse me so...
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_A Light in the Darkness
_Emeritus

Post by _A Light in the Darkness »

Religious tests for office are explicitly banned by the Constitution. This was done in a period of time of conflict between denominations and when there was some reason to believe that Catholics might find political direction from their Church. The only thing Muslims have going against them is some other Muslims are engaged in conflict with the US. You might as well ban Arabians as well, but people would have an easier time seeing that for the rank bigotry that it is.
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

Linked in the Slate Article :

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Y2 ... JmM2ZmOGE=

"(H)e (Romney) can also reap additional benefit from complaining that people keep asking him about them. In a video response of revolting sanctimony and self-pity last week, he responded to some allegedly anti-Mormon "push poll" calls in Iowa and New Hampshire by saying that it was "un-American" to bring up his "faith," especially "at a time when we are preparing for Thanksgiving," whatever that had to do with it. Additional interest is lent to this evasive tactic by the very well-argued case, made by Mark Hemingway in National Review Online, that it was actually the Romney campaign that had initiated the anti-Mormon push-poll calls in the first place!"

But of course !
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Trevor wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Answering questions will encourage more questions. He may satisfy a few but does the rest of the nation want a President that is barraged with tons of religious questions and takes the time to answer them.

If he's not smart enough to deal with this situation, maybe we don't need him in the White House.

I think he is doing the smart thing.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

silentkid wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:the Book god is not great is a worthless rant full of distortions and part truths. Hitchens is an idiot. He does not serve the atheist view well.

I agree that Hitchens is an abrasive atheist. I prefer Dennett and Dawkins to Harris and Hitchens. I wouldn't go so far as to call Hitchens an idiot, though. I'd like to know which parts of his book you consider to be distortions and part-truths. I didn't find the book to be worthless. I think Hitchens provides a nice counterbalance to the raving nutjobs from the religious right like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and Billy Graham.

I read the parts about Mormonism and a few other excerpts and he twists and distorts most of that. Good yellow journalism. He makes a priori assumptions and really is just a polemicist against religion.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

The Nehor wrote:I think he is doing the smart thing.

Well, you're wrong.

People are turning to Huckabee instead. I would wager there is a connection between his growing success and Romney's missteps.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Trevor wrote:
The Nehor wrote:I think he is doing the smart thing.

Well, you're wrong.

People are turning to Huckabee instead. I would wager there is a connection between his growing success and Romney's missteps.

We shall see.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Coggins7 wrote:
the Book god is not great is a worthless rant full of distortions and part truths. Hitchens is an idiot. He does not serve the atheist view well.

Much like The God Delusion and its author.

You guys are just pissed that they expose religious types for the idiots they are.

Dry your tears. It's ok. There, there.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.