bcspace?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: bcspace?

Post by _I have a question »

Chap wrote:However, so far as I recall his final departure came not long after the CoJCoLDS published the essays - which made several of his favored positions no longer tenable. In a way, I miss him. But it seems that the ecology of Mopologetics no longer has a favorable niche for his species.

That was also my take on his disappearance.

But what can you do? He came here to argue, others argued back, the church cut the ground from under him, and in the end he realized he couldn't win. So he left. What were his opponents supposed to do? Not answer him? But if they did answer him, and knew what they were about, his end was inevitable.

Once the Church confirmed the same points that bcspace was arguing against, he was done for.
He could no longer add his own slant when the Church closed off the wiggle room. So, as Festinger studied, he was at a point of confronting the evidence for what it was (cue shelf collapse) or running away from it to avoid invalidating a significant part of his life. That's a problem all believing Mormons have interacting here, they are pushed into seeing the evidence for what it is.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Jersey Girl wrote:...the only thing that knocked me off there temporarily (and make no mistake it was intended to intimidate me permanently)...

Intimidation takes place on these boards?

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Jersey Girl wrote:
The bias is so thick in some of the statements on this thread...

No, tell me that isn't really true. :eek:

Regards,
MG
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Chap wrote:
I don't recall that myself - though that does not mean it did not happen.

Was that on Terrestrial (I rarely look anywhere else)?

Did that happen shortly before his departure, or did he continue to post thereafter?

I'm fairly sure it did because I remember commenting on it at the time. I don't remember who posted it, so it would be very hard to look up. I'm guessing it would have been in Off-Topic.

I'm also guessing that it was several months before he left the board. Another guess is that Shades would have taken it down as soon as he saw it. There may be other posters that remember better than I do. Getting old.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Maybe ldsfaqs ate him.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

I know bcspace's moniker on another board, unrelated to religion entirely. His account there has been inactive for 16 months+ too.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Jersey Girl wrote:How some of you guys can ignore the underhanded s*** that sometimes happens on a board like this is beyond me.

Probably because no one has done it to you.

Interesting observation.

Jersey Girl wrote:Well, years ago it was done to me and the gloating I see here on the thread, disgusts me. It's been done to various TBM's /NOM's here over the years...

You're positive about that? :wink:

Regards,
MG
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Jersey Girl wrote:I also want to mention the fact that bcspace didn't limit his participation to religious topics. He also posted in Old Testament and engaged in political discussions, so you guys will have to forgive me if think that your snickering is a little unwarranted.

Talk about tunnel vision.
:rolleyes:

Jersey Girl

Talking of tunnel vision and unwarranted snickering...here is a thread started by bcspace.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33432&start=21
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

sock puppet wrote:I know bcspace's moniker on another board, unrelated to religion entirely. His account there has been inactive for 16 months+ too.

Maybe he did something like what I've thought about doing a few times...taking my Chromebook and other technology, head down the road a bit going west from where Iive...and chucking it all into Utah Lake.

And just go back to a flip phone and watch the news on TV.

If he's smart, he may have done something like that.

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I also want to mention the fact that bcspace didn't limit his participation to religious topics. He also posted in Old Testament and engaged in political discussions, so you guys will have to forgive me if think that your snickering is a little unwarranted.

Talk about tunnel vision.
:rolleyes:

Jersey Girl

Talking of tunnel vision and unwarranted snickering...here is a thread started by bcspace.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33432&start=21

Oh my. I only made it through page 1 of that! Jersey, you may have to take a look and modify your position, bcspace clearly gave as good as he got!!

I learn something new on this thread everyday. And no, I'm not telling you what on page one of that thread was new to me. :cool: