Arkansas woman dies in Oklahoma recreating Mormon trek

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Arkansas woman dies in Oklahoma recreating Mormon trek

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:The Church should have immediately put a block on any further treks taking place anywhere until a proper investigation has happened and the safety protocols (trek guidelines) thoroughly reviewed in light of this investigation.

That would require the services of an Oklahoma coroner's office rather than the risk management attorneys at Kirton McConkie.

I have no clue as to how invested the Church is in performing these treks. I don't think they have been elevated yet to the level of a commandment like that former list of cobbled together heath suggestions.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

SuperDell wrote:Taking teenagers on a 7 mile trek in 95 degree heat is plain stupidity and child endangerment.

Pure BS. Desert survival and camping gets a lot hotter and folks don't die from it.
Sounds like they had the medical personnel there and she was just unlucky. Probably would have had the same problem mowing her lawn in the heat.

Humidity in Tulsa can get pretty high. That is a major factor in heatstroke. I've done more than my share of desert hiking and I've also lived in humid areas of the country.

120 degrees in Death Valley feels much better than 95 degrees in Tulsa. Pulling a hand cart over rough terrain for seven miles in a humid 95 degrees would be torture.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:I can think of a number of safer alternatives to this idiotic activity. I have been against it since they started doing it.

Brainwashing is done best when the body is under stress.

You do know about the testimony meetings they hold every damn night and hopes that the kids will cry, right?

Oh good grief. They hold testimony meetings at Youth Conference, at Girls Camp, at EFY, etc. None of those activities are a potential health hazard. This is just beyond ridiculous.

As you point out in another post, the mother of 2 young kids is dead.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:I can think of a number of safer alternatives to this idiotic activity. I have been against it since they started doing it.

Brainwashing is done best when the body is under stress.

You do know about the testimony meetings they hold every damn night and hopes that the kids will cry, right?

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Oh good grief. They hold testimony meetings at Youth Conference, at Girls Camp, at EFY, etc. None of those activities are a potential health hazard. This is just beyond ridiculous.
Testimoany meetings in ANY setting is brainwashing for young minds.

Jesse Pinkman wrote:As you point out in another post, the mother of 2 young kids is dead.

Mormon Jesus needed her on the udder side more than her kids, apparently.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Whoever came up with doing these treks is a damned idiot. These damned treks have replaced Youth Conference for our Stake every other year. I refused to let my kids go. There is too much of a chance of heat stroke, dehydration, etc. Now a young woman has died. How sad.

What the hell has happened to the LDS church? It's replaced roadshows with pioneer deprivation re-enactments for the mid-teeners? The LDS kids today are pathetic for going along with this crap, and LDS parents that push their kids to go on these re-enactments are assholes.

I feel for this young woman's husband and young children, but all the way up with a red hot poker for her father in the stake presidency. All they did due to the heat was make a few adjustments rather than, god forbid, cancel or postpone it? Assholes the whole lot of them.

At least the LDS church that had me suckered during my youth did not have flaming idiots for local leaders.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

It seems that a few decades ago young LDS people got to take part in quite a lot of activities that might reasonably be classified as 'fun'.

However, as an outside observer, I have the distinct impression that at some stage the leadership decided that such things were too light-minded. From then on, everything had to have a Gospel angle and be a religious teaching opportunity, preferably one involving the performance of duties of a not very attractive kind.

When were the relevant decisions taken, by whom, and - most importantly - why? Was anything ever said explicitly?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

TULSA, Okla., June 22, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — The medical examiner’s office is working to determine the cause of death of an Arkansas woman who was on a Mormon Pioneer Trek reenactment with the teen youth group she led for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

It was initially thought Meaghan Lee Querry Blair, 29, may have suffered a heat-related seizure and a spinal cord injury caused by an extremely high body temperature, according to a Facebook post put up Monday by her sister.

http://gephardtdaily.com/religion/lds-w ... th-youths/
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The irony of this is that the handcart method of travel to Utah was pretty dumb back then as attested in Will Bagley's "One Long Funeral March," http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/mormonhistory/vol35/iss1/

Why on earth the Mormon church deifies these poor handcart persons when the church was the one who negligently caused their deaths is beyond me. Now another death in the name of manufactured testimony. Pretty sad and what's sadder still is that the grieving father probably won't take the church to court over this nonsense and get him and his poor children some justice.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Chap wrote:It seems that a few decades ago young LDS people got to take part in quite a lot of activities that might reasonably be classified as 'fun'.

However, as an outside observer, I have the distinct impression that at some stage the leadership decided that such things were too light-minded. From then on, everything had to have a Gospel angle and be a religious teaching opportunity, preferably one involving the performance of duties of a not very attractive kind.

When were the relevant decisions taken, by whom, and - most importantly - why? Was anything ever said explicitly?

Correlation has killed most of what made individual ward units unique and done away with most of the fun activities (dance festivals, road shows, Gold & Green Balls, church wide sporting competitions and so on) that created ward identities. When the church started to send local money elsewhere, which I think was part of correlation, the fun stuff was no longer affordable or controllable on a local level.

You know in a way it is funny because correlation in many ways resembles the fictional plan Satan is supposed to have proposed in the preexistence, in that it has removed the need for much of the decision making that occurred throughout the church prior to its implementation. Everything every one needs to know or do is in some manual and deviating from the manual is frowned upon.

Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.We are the LDS
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Fence Sitter wrote:Correlation has killed most of what made individual ward units unique and done away with most of the fun activities (dance festivals, road shows, Gold & Green Balls, church wide sporting competitions and so on) that created ward identities. When the church started to send local money elsewhere, which I think was part of correlation, the fun stuff was no longer affordable or controllable on a local level.

It's true that there used to be a real sense of distinctive ward identities and that these identities that overlapped somewhat with general neighborhoods. What I mean is that the boundary was a bit flexible: nonmembers, inactive members (I always laugh at the replacement term: "less active") also participated in ward functions like the RS bazaars and holiday parties for children, etc.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."