Church Admonishes to Use Only Approved Sources

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Church Admonishes to Use Only Approved Sources

Post by _Res Ipsa »

mentalgymnast wrote:When we study, we should do so not only through study...but also by faith. That as I look at and read source material and writings of biographers, associates of the 'primaries', and other historical and/or scientific topics/references that are available...I am more "open minded" and thorough as I try to keep a balance between competing/conflicting ideas/theories/presuppositions, etc.

I've found that it is a good thing, for me, to keep the door open to "light and truth" from various avenues/sources...including the "rich abundance of...books, written by heaven-inspired Church leaders and recognized, safe, and reliable Church history and doctrine scholars [and]...the revealed word of God in canonized scripture" referred to in the talk by Elder Ardern.

It feels right to do so.

As I've aged and matured, I've found that it's not always wise to put all my eggs in one basket, however. There is truth and goodness to be found from so many places. Including nuggets of truth/insight and goodness that show themselves, now and then, on this board. :smile:

Regards,
MG

Not getting it. Where does the stuff you quoted talk about studying by faith?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

mentalgymnast wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:I thank FAIR for getting me out of my bubble, with time my open mind led me to agnosticism.

Why agnosticism?

Regards,
MG

I am in the same boat. Why Agnosticism? Because I truly no longer know or think I do. I honestly don't know, which is agnosticism.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Hi, Philo!

Any chance I could get you to do an interview on Radio Free Mormon?

I really think people would be interested in hearing about your spiritual and intellectual journey.

All in favor, manifest it by the usual sign.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Res Ipsa wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:When we study, we should do so not only through study...but also by faith. That as I look at and read source material and writings of biographers, associates of the 'primaries', and other historical and/or scientific topics/references that are available...I am more "open minded" and thorough as I try to keep a balance between competing/conflicting ideas/theories/presuppositions, etc.

I've found that it is a good thing, for me, to keep the door open to "light and truth" from various avenues/sources...including the "rich abundance of...books, written by heaven-inspired Church leaders and recognized, safe, and reliable Church history and doctrine scholars [and]...the revealed word of God in canonized scripture" referred to in the talk by Elder Ardern.

It feels right to do so.

As I've aged and matured, I've found that it's not always wise to put all my eggs in one basket, however. There is truth and goodness to be found from so many places. Including nuggets of truth/insight and goodness that show themselves, now and then, on this board. :smile:

Regards,
MG

Not getting it. Where does the stuff you quoted talk about studying by faith?

From his talk. You quoted it earlier upthread:

Asking of God is to be preceded by careful study, for we are under scriptural mandate to seek “out of the best books words of wisdom” and to “seek learning, even by study and also by faith” (D&C 88:118)

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

mentalgymnast wrote:Why agnosticism?

Philo Sofee wrote:I am in the same boat. Why Agnosticism? Because I truly no longer know or think I do. I honestly don't know, which is agnosticism.

I know what agnosticism is. :wink: Been there, done that.

I'm interested in why folks choose agnosticism after a 'shake up', of sorts, with organized religions. Like...what does that have to do, really, with whether or not there is a God?

Regards,
MG
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:Hi, Philo!

I really think people would be interested in hearing about your spiritual and intellectual journey.

I know I am raising my right hand!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Yes please.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

mentalgymnast wrote:

Philo Sofee wrote:I am in the same boat. Why Agnosticism? Because I truly no longer know or think I do. I honestly don't know, which is agnosticism.

I'm interested in why folks choose agnosticism after a 'shake up', of sorts, with organized religions. Like...what does that have to do, really, with whether or not there is a God?

Regards,
MG

You have good evidence for god? No? -> Agnosticism.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

mentalgymnast wrote:

Regards,
MG

If you are sincerely asking that question, there is simply no way I am convinced you were once agnostic. You apparently don't grasp the connection at all. I think you are just trying to talk nice or something.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

consiglieri wrote:Hi, Philo!

Oh I would bore the hell outta everybody. I am a rather blase sorta guy. . . having said that, aren't you nervous about your ratings tanking out because of it? There ain't much to say, I lost faith. . . :wink: But I may be up for it however. . .
Dr CamNC4Me