Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Position

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Posit

Post by _fetchface »

Was the recording obtained because BYUPD eventually complied with the records request or was it leaked to them? The article reads like it was leaked but doesn't actually say that.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

A guy like this is good for the Church. Even with the prestige that comes with leadership and implications of earning salvation with service, it's a lot of work. Good help is hard to find even when pay is good and so with service, it's even worse. It's a real blessing to have a guy who comes in and does his job whistling. And so he has this "problem," but this same problem is what gets him to work everyday, ready to give 110% and keep his position. As long as he's "trying to do better" -- which means, bottom line is that we (the leaders) don't want to hear any complaints -- then why take the chance with someone who may not have the same enthusiasm for the call?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Meadowchik wrote:
But a long sought-after police recording recently obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune offers new details about this controversy, including that Bishop says he immediately told his church leaders about his inappropriate behavior — and still maintained his position of power.

Bishop’s assertion that he had confessed to his ecclesiastical leaders in the 1980s contradicts an earlier statement from church officials, who have said they first became aware of the allegations in 2010.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/06 ... urch-know/

I don't think we should assume that because Bishop says he confessed, that his confession was necessarily completely honest. In fact, I'm pretty sure in the audio recording Denson made of their meeting, he admitted to not being fully honest about some other mistakes he made in Florida(?). Bishop would have known exactly what the consequences would have been if he had confessed to certain actions. It seems he knew how much to admit to keep his job and to quiet his conscience.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Joseph Smith was caught diddling a 14 year old in a barn, and yet he still kept his calling as a prophet.

In FAIRness, she was actually 16.

In even more FAIRness, it must be remembered that Joseph and Fanny were under the seductive influence of a ruthless hay pile and so ultimately they are absolved of any wrongdoing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Jospeh Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, kept his MTC posit

Post by _MsJack »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:You are indeed a prophetess, MsJack.

My track record re: predictions and agitation is pretty good. I'm probably the closest thing Mormonism has to a prophetess right now.

But, as far as Bishop goes, his confession leaves nowhere to run but dementia.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

MsJack wrote:

My track record re: predictions and agitation is pretty good. I'm probably the closest thing Mormonism has to a prophetess right now.
I'll make the motion!
Another prediction I'm sure the lds lawyers will increasingly use. You are rivaling Agnes Nutter's "Nice and Accurate Prophecies..."

(please tell me someone else read the book, or at least watched the bbc miniseries, "Good Omens." :twisted: )
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Lemmie wrote:You are rivaling Agnes Nutter's "Nice and Accurate Prophecies..."

(please tell me someone else read the book, or at least watched the bbc miniseries, "Good Omens." :twisted: )

Despite being a huge Terry Pratchett fan (Small God's is divinely inspired, in my opinion), I only know this from the Amazon release with David Tennant that does have a BBC miniseries quality to it.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

MsJack wrote:

Not if Consig is right. If Bishop did volunteer that he was contacted by Asay, that would corroborate Denson's story of contact with Asay in the 1980s. Then, it would seem, that a general authority knew about the claims and kept Bishop in the MTC.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

fetchface wrote:Was the recording obtained because BYUPD eventually complied with the records request or was it leaked to them? The article reads like it was leaked but doesn't actually say that.

Important question. And would the circumstances make the recording admissable in court? And where and what is the complete recording? And finally, will Denson find a new lawyer in time?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

honorentheos wrote:
Lemmie wrote:You are rivaling Agnes Nutter's "Nice and Accurate Prophecies..."

Despite being a huge Terry Pratchett fan (Small God's is divinely inspired, in my opinion), I only know this from the Amazon release with David Tennant that does have a BBC miniseries quality to it.

(Not to derail, but i rewatched one episode last night with my family, my favorite scene has to be the one where Mycroft from BBC's Sherlock plays the smarmiest German book burner ever, as Tennant's demon Crowley hysterically two-steps down a Cathedral center aisle, trying to keep his feet from touching "consecrated ground" so he can rescue the angel Azirephale. All while demonically effecting a change in a German bombing run in the London blitz to accomplish said rescue. When Azirephale returned the favor by giving him a plaid and beige thermos of holy water as they sat in Crowley's Bentley, in which any tape left in the tape deck more than a fortnight turns into The Best of Queens", I almost cried.

I recommend the book above the series, though. I consider it to be one of my top 3 funniest books ever read, along with Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat ((To Say Nothing of the Dog), and James Thurber's short stories, especially The Catbird Seat".)