Oaks: How you are plumbed at birth is your gender. Period.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks: How you are plumbed at birth is your gender. Perio

Post by _DarkHelmet »

I have a question wrote:Mr Oaks just said that there's no place in God's plan for 1% of humanity right out of the gate (from birth).

Well, only 0.2% of humanity actual choose God's plan or are born into it, and that's based on the church's inflated numbers. If Oaks thinks the number of intersex people is insignificant, they far outnumber the people who take what he says seriously.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

DarkHelmet wrote:
I have a question wrote:Mr Oaks just said that there's no place in God's plan for 1% of humanity right out of the gate (from birth).

Well, only 0.2% of humanity actual choose God's plan or are born into it, and that's based on the church's inflated numbers. If Oaks thinks the number of intersex people is insignificant, they far outnumber the people who take what he says seriously.

:lol:
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Maybe the Brethren ought to shut up and avoid the topic, lest they dig their hole deeper, which seems to be all the current crop of Brethren ever do.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

In ‘dark day’ for transgender Latter-day Saints, Oaks defines gender as ‘biological sex at birth’

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/10 ... ansgender/

He went on to say the “long-standing doctrinal statements” in The Family: A Proclamation to the World, offered 24 years “ago will not change . . . [but] may be clarified as directed by inspiration.”
Is that a subtle threat directed at Mr Nelson?

The former Utah Supreme Court justice then added his own language to the proclamation’s statements.

“The intended meaning of ‘gender’ in the family proclamation and as used in church statements and publications since that time is,” Oaks said, “biological sex at birth.’”

That was not how Laurie Lee Hall, a transgender architect in Louisville, Ky., understood the church’s stance.

“He has now warped the family proclamation,” Hall said, “to be of no use to me at all.”

Hall — a former temple designer who was excommunicated for refusing to give up her female identity — long had agreed with and defended the proclamation’s statement that “gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.”

Hall believes that gender is eternal but that she was born in the wrong body.

That is a view shared by many transgender Latter-day Saints who continue in their faith and practice with the church.

Oaks’ definition of gender as being the “biological sex at birth,” she said, directly contradicts Hall’s own “personal revelation.”

It is “a dark day for transgender Latter-day Saints,” said Hall, senior vice president of Affirmation, a support group for LGBTQ members and ex-members, along with their families and friends. “It will send shock waves through our transgender community. They are going to be traumatized and damaged by this statement.”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')