Fairmormon's T. I. T. S.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Fairmormon's T. I. T. S.

Post by Dr Moore »

When these videos are taken down, will there be a public apology or not? That is the question.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

My gosh. It's only December 03, and already Doctor Scratch has an entry for his "Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2021" list.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
simon southerton
Sunbeam

Post by simon southerton »

Kwaku has explained why he thinks his approach is better than traditional apologetics on his Facebook page (which is public)

https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0706495242

I give you GenZ's Daniel Peterson.

Kwaku is appealing to a young, dumb, Trump supporting, Utah base. This will serve to alienate young Mormons outside of Utah and intelligent young Mormons everywhere. I say keep it up Kwaku. Show us more TITS.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

simon southerton wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 am
Kwaku has explained why he thinks his approach is better than traditional apologetics on his Facebook page (which is public)

Kwaku is appealing to a young, dumb, Trump supporting, Utah base. This will serve to alienate young Mormons outside of Utah and intelligent young Mormons everywhere. I say keep it up Kwaku. Show us more TITS.
Oh dear god. The dumbing down of "apologetics". And I put that in quotes because this kid's argument boils down to nothing more than 'do this because it's the cool thing to do.' Children eventually grow out of high school, and 'popularity' will no longer seem as important. What will these kids do when they need a real reason to keep believing?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Lem wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:57 am
simon southerton wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 am

Oh dear god. The dumbing down of "apologetics". And I put that in quotes because this kid's argument boils down to nothing more than 'do this because it's the cool thing to do.' Children eventually grow out of high school, and 'popularity' will no longer seem as important. What will these kids do when they need a real reason to keep believing?
I might have been susceptible to the cool kids are doing it thing back when I was 18, but there isnt any staying power in it. Kids grow up and move on from the group.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:06 am
Lem wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:57 am

I might have been susceptible to the cool kids are doing it thing back when I was 18, but there isnt any staying power in it. Kids grow up and move on from the group.
Exactly. And because of that built in lack of staying power, this strategy will do the opposite of inoculation.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

The problem with TikTok apologetics is that it isn't competing with blog and book apologetics. It's competing with the rest of TikTok and the rest of TikTok has the unbeatable advantage of not having to sell a religion.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:16 am
It's odd that Gordon condemns the existence of "logical fallacy" in the CES Letter, when these TITS videos deploy a massive number of logical fallacies throughout. Chief among them is the pervasive use of straw man arguments in a fast moving juvenile Nibley fest. Followed closely by ad hominems galore. It really is a crap show, this whole production.
Well said, Dr Moore.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I wonder how much Fairmormon and Interpreter have ploughed into this...
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 am
The problem with TikTok apologetics is that it isn't competing with blog and book apologetics. It's competing with the rest of TikTok and the rest of TikTok has the unbeatable advantage of not having to sell a religion.
QFT

Religion is sold in quiet moments of personal connection with divinity. These videos are never going to produce that moment for anyone.