MTC President Sexually Assaulted Sister Missionaries

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: MTC President Sexually Assaulted Sister Missionaries

Post by _consiglieri »

Sadly, according to this news story (and it is only a news story), it appears that the specific language about "within four years from the date the crime is reported to police" may apply only to child sex crimes and not sex crimes involving adults.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/ ... 4477c.html

In short, it looks like the statute of limitations on this may well and truly have run in Utah, inasmuch as the alleged victim was not a child when it occurred.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

consiglieri wrote:Sadly, according to this news story (and it is only a news story), it appears that the specific language about "within four years from the date the crime is reported to police" may apply only to child sex crimes and not sex crimes involving adults.

In short, it looks like the statute of limitations on this may well and truly have run in Utah, inasmuch as the alleged victim was not a child when it occurred.

I don't know if Stogner v. California, 539 U.S. 607 (2003) has been considered here but the Supreme Court said in this case that the ex-post facto clause prohibited prosecuting an accused of child sex crimes when the statute of limitations was increased after the prior sex crime statute of limitation had run.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Maureen
_Emeritus

Post by _Maureen »

I have a question wrote:...I can find no evidence of the Deseret News reporting on this story, which suggests they are actively complicit in Church cover-ups.

These are the two articles so far...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... ident.html

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

consiglieri wrote:Sadly, according to this news story (and it is only a news story), it appears that the specific language about "within four years from the date the crime is reported to police" may apply only to child sex crimes and not sex crimes involving adults.

I looked at this and reached the same conclusion.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Exiled wrote:

I don't know if Stogner v. California, 539 U.S. 607 (2003) has been considered here but the Supreme Court said in this case that the ex-post facto clause prohibited prosecuting an accused of child sex crimes when the statute of limitations was increased after the prior sex crime statute of limitation had run.

Good research. Thanks.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

consiglieri wrote:For example, the Washington State Supreme Court has ruled that a change in the requirement to register as a sex offender does not violate the prohibition against ex post facto laws by requiring convicts to register even though their conviction occurred prior to the passage of the registration law.

123 Wn.2d 488, STATE v. WARD

Mar. 1994

[Nos. 59542-9, 59625-5. En Banc. March 17, 1994.]

STATE v. WARD

THE STATE OF WASHINGTON, Respondent, v. JEFFREY S. WARD, Appellant.
JOHN DOE PAROLEE, Appellant, v. THE STATE OF WASHINGTON, on the Relation of Norm Maleng, et al, Respondent.

Nature of Action: Defendant Ward was charged with failing to register as a sex offender. Plaintiff Doe brought an action seeking to be relieved of the duty to register as a sex offender.

Superior Court: The Superior Court for Pierce County, No. 90-1-03555-9, Frederick B. Hayes, J., entered a judgment finding defendant Ward guilty on July 9, 1991. The Superior Court for King County, No. 90-2-22708-1, Edward Heavey, J., dismissed plaintiff Doe's action on July 16, 1991.

Supreme Court: Holding that the retroactive application of the sex offender registration statute did not violate the constitutional ex post facto prohibition, that the registration requirement applies to plaintiff Doe, and that registration does not violate plaintiff Doe's rights of due process and equal protection of the laws, the court affirms the judgments.

http://courts.mrsc.org/supreme/123wn2d/123wn2d0488.htm

I believe that changing the statute of limitations in Utah in 2013 to make rape have no statute of limitations is, in fact, retroactively applicable to a rape alleged to have occurred in 1984, even though in 1984 the statute of limitations was only four years.

It is not a violation of the ex-post facto provision.

I don't think that's right. There's a difference between retroactive requiring someone convicted in the distant past to register as a sex offender and changing the statute of limitations to convict someone of a crime where the prior limitations period had already elapsed.

In the first case, it's not really about the statute of limitations. Rather, it's a matter of imposing an additional obligation or requirement on someone who has actually been convicted.

In the second case, it's about changing the statute of limitations in order to prosecute someone who has not been convicted of anything.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
I don't think that's right. There's a difference between retroactive requiring someone convicted in the distant past to register as a sex offender and changing the statute of limitations to convict someone of a crime where the prior limitations period had already elapsed.

In the first case, it's not really about the statute of limitations. Rather, it's a matter of imposing an additional obligation or requirement on someone who has actually been convicted.

In the second case, it's about changing the statute of limitations in order to prosecute someone who has not been convicted of anything.

The Washington court held that sex offender registration was regulatory rather than punitive, so the ex post facto clause did not apply. Changing a statute of limitations after it has expired exposes the accused to punishment. I think that's the distinction.

_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

“Man’s laws cannot make moral what God has declared immoral.”—Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “No Other Gods”

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

reflexzero wrote:
“Man’s laws cannot make moral what God has declared immoral.”—Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “No Other Gods”

This man was promoted and/or assigned all over the place after several reports of misconduct...does God have morals?
_Maureen
_Emeritus

Post by _Maureen »

A 3rd Deseret News article:

LDS Church says a second missionary made sexual abuse allegation against former MTC president.

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle