Religious exception to laws

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Re: Religious exception to laws

Post by _palerobber »

how about if congress was deprived of all legislative power over mere opinion, but was left free to reach actions which were in violation of social duties or subversive of good order?

would that make a good "precendent", as it were?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Brad Hudson wrote:
harmony wrote:So we're good with the first half and not so good with the second? That's pretty typical for the government.

Not sure what you mean. I think we do pretty well on both issues.

What's good for the goose, etc...
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

harmony wrote:What's good for the goose, etc...

What goose and what gander? I'm really not understanding what you are saying.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Should private businesses be allowed to discriminate against Gays and Lesbians for reasons of religious belief?

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/26/washing ... imination/
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

palerobber wrote:how about if congress was deprived of all legislative power over mere opinion, but was left free to reach actions which were in violation of social duties or subversive of good order?

would that make a good "precendent", as it were?

I'm not sure. It seems like it's all opinions to me.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

lulu wrote:Should private businesses be allowed to discriminate against Gays and Lesbians for reasons of religious belief?

Nice twist on the OP. Pitting two of the most dearly held values when it comes to our society: free exercise of religion and no invalid discrimination.

Given American jurisprudence, it might depend on what business he runs? A bus or charter flight company? Hotel? Restaurant? As an emerging protected class, I could see the courts holding that he could not so discriminate.

What if a TBM owns a radio station and has an FCC license to do so. Can he keep an avowed wiccan off of the air on his frequency, for which the wiccan otherwise qualifies?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

lulu wrote:Should private businesses be allowed to discriminate against Gays and Lesbians for reasons of religious belief?

Me, I don't think so. Of course, I also believe private businesses owned by gays and lesbians shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against religious bigots. :wink:

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

sock puppet wrote:

Nice twist on the OP. Pitting two of the most dearly held values when it comes to our society: free exercise of religion and no invalid discrimination.

Given American jurisprudence, it might depend on what business he runs? A bus or charter flight company? Hotel? Restaurant? As an emerging protected class, I could see the courts holding that he could not so discriminate.

What if a TBM owns a radio station and has an FCC license to do so. Can he keep an avowed wiccan off of the air on his frequency, for which the wiccan otherwise qualifies?

Are we talking cans or shoulds? I get confused.

_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Small businesses can fire anyone they want for any reason if they are a non-union employee. Most businesses with any sense would just put down they could no longer afford to keep the employee due to a downturn in business or some other business related reason. The real reason can be they don't like their religion, their sexual orientation, or whatever. That is nearly impossible to prove unless the business owner is foolish enough to put that down as the cause (or do something equally as stupid as writing it in an e-mail, etc). So, no exception is required. If you want to discriminate within a business, nothing can really stop you.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

sock puppet wrote:

Yep. Unfortunately, it's not a black and white issue.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson