Do Maklelan, BC, MG & Co Ever Have Doubts?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: Do Maklelan, BC, MG & Co Ever Have Doubts?

Post by _sock puppet »

Bazooka wrote:
Tobin wrote:I wish everyone could experience what I have.

You want us all to have our sex lives interrupted by prudish aliens?

Tator wrote:That was absolutely where my thoughts went......hilarious....I would have rather had made it with the girl.

+1
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Nothing serious though and my long experience with an inept opposition allows me not to worry about things I might not have an immediate answer to.

Uggggg...Really? That's where you want to go? I am so disappointed...

You just proved my case.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

mentalgymnast wrote:I am almost dead sure that I could face the red comment being true. The Spaghetti Monster knows I've thought about it enough. :smile: And if I came to believe that the church held little or no chance of being true I'd hop, skip, and jump over to some kind of deistic/agnostic/atheistic flavor mix.

Regards,
MG

MG, please don't take this as a criticism because it's not meant that way....but....I think you have already concluded that the Church holds little chance of being 'true' in the exact way that it portrays itself as being true.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

I have a theory about Maklelan and his postings here.

I think he comes here to quell his own faith doubts and cognitive dissonance by defending the Church on subjects he himself finds problematic.
Sort of like cauterising a wound.

When he realises the blood flow is simply too great (see the thread about a Universal Flood being Church doctrine) he disappears for a time.

It's just a theory, and I may be doing him a massive disservice.
He may simply have periods when he's too busy or on a plane etc that just happen to coincide with discussions where he has backed himself into a blatantly untenable position....
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Bazooka wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:I am almost dead sure that I could face the red comment being true. The Spaghetti Monster knows I've thought about it enough. :smile: And if I came to believe that the church held little or no chance of being true I'd hop, skip, and jump over to some kind of deistic/agnostic/atheistic flavor mix.

Regards,
MG

MG, please don't take this as a criticism because it's not meant that way....but....I think you have already concluded that the Church holds little chance of being 'true' in the exact way that it portrays itself as being true.

I've already stated my position earlier. And I stick to it. :smile:

Regards,
MG
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

bcspace wrote:You just proved my case.

I think we communicate of completely different wave lengths...cuz I have no idea how my comment proved your case...
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

mentalgymnast wrote:
I've already stated my position earlier. And I stick to it. :smile:

Regards,
MG

I expect nothing less! :biggrin:
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Craig Paxton wrote:
bcspace wrote:Nothing serious though and my long experience with an inept opposition allows me not to worry about things I might not have an immediate answer to.

You just proved my case.

I think we communicate of completely different wave lengths...cuz I have no idea how my comment proved your case...

Craig it is possible that BCspace has provided you with an answer to the question you started this thread with. The truth or lack of truth for the church does not depend upon the ideas, statements or objections of critics. Critics cannot change or determine the truth. Critics can however form a barrier of noise for believers which might insulate a believer from his own internal questions.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

i suspect that the most vocal and fervent defenders of the faith are more plagued by doubts than most members. That's why they become so vocal and fervent. They're trying to convince themselves, first and foremost.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Boanerges
_Emeritus

Post by _Boanerges »

beastie wrote:i suspect that the most vocal and fervent defenders of the faith are more plagued by doubts than most members. That's why they become so vocal and fervent. They're trying to convince themselves, first and foremost.

I suspect this as well. I also believe those who feel they must often testify of the God of the Lost Car Keys are in the same position - trying to convince themselves.