A Test on The POWER of Prayer

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: A Test on The POWER of Prayer

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Runtu wrote:Kind of a cynical thread.

I agree. But that's not unusual around here. :wink:

I don't think that it accomplishes anything to 'diss' God. I'm sure there are some underlying psychological reasons to do so, but other than that...it's rather a fruitless/non-productive enterprise, in my opinion.

Either there is a caring and loving creator/God or there isn't. If there is, then there isn't any use in second guessing Him.

Regards,
MG
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

mentalgymnast wrote:Either there is a caring and loving creator/God or there isn't. If there is, then there isn't any use in second guessing Him.

Maybe god isn't caring and is a sadist? Have you ever considered that?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Here. Let's lighten it up for you a bit, Runtu!

- Doc

Sorry, just a bit touchy about this subject after all the stress of the last couple of weeks.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:Either there is a caring and loving creator/God or there isn't. If there is, then there isn't any use in second guessing Him.

- Doc

No.

Regards,
MG
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

No.

Regards,
MG

Orders one guy to murder his son for no reason other that to demonstrate obedience, requires his followers to practice circumcision , forces another guy at swordpoint to take extra wives...... perhaps you should consider it.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

SteelHead wrote:

- Doc

MG wrote:No.

Regards,
MG

SteelHead wrote:Orders one guy to murder his son for no reason other that to demonstrate obedience...

Does God have the right to take away and/or give life?

Job 1:21 (KJV) Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

SteelHead wrote:...requires his followers to practice circumcision...

At one time, yes. Thankfully not today. But the WofW may be just as much of a test in obedience for some. :wink:

SteelHead wrote:...forces another guy at swordpoint to take extra wives...

At one time, yes. Thankfully not today. Today we're asked to get just ONE wife to the Celestial Kingdom. And that's just as difficult for some as it was for Joseph to practice polygamy.

SteelHead wrote:...perhaps you should consider it.

I really don't see another alternative. Unless it's becoming an agnostic/atheist. But I don't see that as an option that 'floats my boat', so to speak. If it works for you, fine.

Regards,
MG
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Fence Sitter wrote:It would be ridiculously simple to test the power of prayer in Mormonism.

Set up a test that involved a large group of patients with a similar serious disease, prognosis, age and whatever. Divide the group into two. Submit the patients names from one group to the temple, daily for a period of time, then compare the groups to see if there is any difference in outcome.

Rinse repeat a few times with various diseases and groups.

It ought to be clear if prayer has any affect.

We don't even need to do that. The church claims priesthood power to heal. We could look at groups of people in and out of the church, as well as non-religious groups who are in need of healing and see if LDS members have better outcomes then other comparable non-religious patients.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:
SteelHead wrote:Orders one guy to murder his son for no reason other that to demonstrate obedience...

Does God have the right to take away and/or give life?

I don't think that is the point. The real problem from this story is the idea that one should do what ever they think God has commanded them to do no matter how bad it is. This is what fuels religious terrorism.

At one time, yes. Thankfully not today. Today we're asked to get just ONE wife to the Celestial Kingdom. And that's just as difficult for some as it was for Joseph to practice polygamy.

Really? :redface: Anyone telling you that today you would not believe for a second. Amazing how bias can make us accept some of the dumbest crap excuses guys like Joseph Smith can come up with to excuse horrible behavior. It could never be that Joseph wanted lots of sex with many women. Never heard of that motivation before. :rolleyes:
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

MG wrote:Does God have the right to take away and/or give life?

Themis wrote:I don't think that is the point.

I think that is exactly the point.

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Themis wrote:The real problem from this story is the idea that one should do what ever they think God has commanded them to do no matter how bad it is. This is what fuels religious terrorism.

It is a concern...big time...that religious terrorism is often based upon 'what God told me to do'.

Granted.

The question, again, is whether or not God has the right to take and give life...and whether or not, in this instance (Abraham and Isaac)...God was teaching Abraham this exact lesson.

That is, God giveth and God taketh away.

If nothing else, Abraham learned that lesson. Yes, he did learn obedience along the way also. :wink:

Regards,
MG
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.