Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Position

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Posit

Post by _kairos »

The Church Handbook of Instructions for the MTC president states clearly that when the president becomes aware of a breast augmentation situation with a sister missionary ,he will personally "handle" the situation to make sure the augmentation will enhance the sister's appearance as she prepares to enter the missionary service. "Handling" the situation will incliude but not be limited to reviewing pre- and post- operative photos, having the sister expose her breasts to the president who will check the augmentation with his ungloved hands for smoothness , firmness, size, volume, symmetry, and perkiness. This last characteristic may require the sister to shimmy enough to check the bounce and bounce recovery. During the "exam" the missionary may be blindfolded if she or the president are sensitive or uneasy to nakedness. To equalize this possibility the president may at his own discretion remove his clothes so that the nakedness situation is balanced.
After the exam the sister will return to her MTC ward having sworn under penalty of excommunication and death never to reveal what transpired. The president will complete the process after the sister leaves the examination room by performing a modified Onanism. He then will complerte LDS Form 69 and include all photos and his description of the process and his professional opinion on whether the missionary is prepared physically for missionary service-form 69 completed will be forwarded to the office of the FP with copies to all GA's to ensure privacy for the sister involved.

just musin'

k
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

I've done some searching on the internet and can't find a picture of Denson when she was young or any indication of whether this recording of Bishop was leaked to the Trib or released voluntarily to the Trib by BYUPD.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

BREAKING NEWS!!!

KUTV broadcast a piece last night on the BYUPD interview of Joseph Bishop.

https://kutv.com/news/local/former-mtc- ... ssionaries

They play portions of the recording in the news cast. These are portions not reproduced in the Salt Lake Tribune article from Sunday. They are, to say the least, explosive.

Elder Carlos Asay is mentioned in the news clip, but you have to actually read the article associated with the news clip in order to find out the rest of the story.

Denson said she told Carlos Asay, general authority for the church, about what happened to her. More recently, she recorded a conversation with Bishop that he referenced in his interview with police.

“She said, ‘Did Elder Asay ever approach you?’” Bishop said in 2017, “and I said, ‘No, he never did,’ and then I got to thinking later — that, that someone had called me that probably came from Elder Asay’s office, and I had told them about what I’m telling you and that I had taken care of it ecclesiastically.”

Bishop’s words may contradict last year’s statement from the church, saying “We have no record of an interview between Asay and this individual,” referring to Denson.

The church has said it first learned of the matter in 2010 “when this former Church member, who served briefly as a missionary in 1984, told leaders of the Pleasant Grove Utah West Stake that she had been sexually assaulted by” Bishop.

Bingo!

And it is clear that this recording was not released by the BYUPD, who initially redacted the police report to remove any mention of the existence of the recording.

Then, after news of the recording was leaked, BYUPD has consistently refused to provide a copy pursuant to public disclosure request, even public disclosure requests made after the legislation was passed specifically providing that BYUPD is subject to GRAMA.

I expect the exhilaration felt on the part of the church after McKenna's attorneys withdrew is being replaced with an emotion of a different sort in the past few days.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

consiglieri wrote:And it is clear that this recording was not released by the BYUPD, who initially redacted the police report to remove any mention of the existence of the recording.

Well, it might be clear to some, but the way the Trib article was written left me wondering if there was some movement on legally forcing BYUPD to comply that I wasn't aware of.

The interesting thing to me is that it seems the church cannot command enough loyalty to keep this under wraps. BYUPD all have temple recommends, right? Are there non-Mormons who might have had access to this tape?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I do not know about any non-Mormons who might have access to this tape. Or any Mormons either, for that matter.

The reason I am so aware of the BYUPD continuing to fight release of this tape is because I recently sent them another public disclosure request asking for a copy of the tape.

BYUPD responded, saying that they understood they are now subject to the public disclosure act, but they are still denying my request because they had categorized the recording as private.

I have appealed that decision to the chief of police. But it seems that I may not have to pursue that any further in light of recent developments.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

consiglieri wrote:BYUPD responded, saying that they understood they are now subject to the public disclosure act, but they are still denying my request because they had categorized the recording as private.

Huh. Does GRAMA allow exceptions for things that are categorized as 'private'? I wonder if that would work for a city PD? Sorry, we can't release that officer's body cam footage. It is categorized as 'private'.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

GRAMA does allow for a classification of something as private. But that does not mean that simply because BYUPD says something is private means that it qualifies under the definition in the statute.

This is clearly, to me at least, an abuse of GRAMA by the BYUPD.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

consiglieri wrote:GRAMA does allow for a classification of something as private. But that does not mean that simply because BYUPD says something is private means that it qualifies under the definition in the statute.

This is clearly, to me at least, an abuse of GRAMA by the BYUPD.

Specifically because this interview with Bishop was part of a police investigation. They weren't on personal time.

Is the dementia claim something that a jury evaluates, and do you have a take on that yet?
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

consiglieri wrote:BREAKING NEWS!!!

KUTV broadcast a piece last night on the BYUPD interview of Joseph Bishop.

https://kutv.com/news/local/former-mtc- ... ssionaries

They play portions of the recording in the news cast. These are portions not reproduced in the Salt Lake Tribune article from Sunday. They are, to say the least, explosive.

Elder Carlos Asay is mentioned in the news clip, but you have to actually read the article associated with the news clip in order to find out the rest of the story.

Denson said she told Carlos Asay, general authority for the church, about what happened to her. More recently, she recorded a conversation with Bishop that he referenced in his interview with police.

“She said, ‘Did Elder Asay ever approach you?’” Bishop said in 2017, “and I said, ‘No, he never did,’ and then I got to thinking later — that, that someone had called me that probably came from Elder Asay’s office, and I had told them about what I’m telling you and that I had taken care of it ecclesiastically.”

Bishop’s words may contradict last year’s statement from the church, saying “We have no record of an interview between Asay and this individual,” referring to Denson.

The church has said it first learned of the matter in 2010 “when this former Church member, who served briefly as a missionary in 1984, told leaders of the Pleasant Grove Utah West Stake that she had been sexually assaulted by” Bishop.

Bingo!

And it is clear that this recording was not released by the BYUPD, who initially redacted the police report to remove any mention of the existence of the recording.

Then, after news of the recording was leaked, BYUPD has consistently refused to provide a copy pursuant to public disclosure request, even public disclosure requests made after the legislation was passed specifically providing that BYUPD is subject to GRAMA.

I expect the exhilaration felt on the part of the church after McKenna's attorneys withdrew is being replaced with an emotion of a different sort in the past few days.

Yea, McKenna's definitely has psychological problems, but the Mormon church's institutional problems from this episode easily take the cake. McKenna's new laywers will have a field day with this, and adding to her claims that the church knew of Bishop's proclivities, did not take adequate measures to prevent this from recurring and even left him place where he'd have the position of power over young women entering the MTC. The lawyers who withdrew from representing McKenna have got to be kicking themselves now for doing so.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

It looks like KUTV has posted the entirety of the BYUPD interview with Joseph Bishop on their website.

It is located at the bottom of the story on the link I already provided.

It says they have made some minor redactions to exclude the names and identifying information of victims.

You know, sort of what the BYUPD should have been giving to me and everybody else who requested it under the public disclosure act!

I am busy this afternoon, but am looking forward to listening to the entire interview this evening.