New Book of Mormon Evidence!!!!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Paul Osborne wrote:I don't believe carbon dating is a valid test in all circumstances in determining the age of things from all periods of earth's history.

I guess that means it's a good thing that Carbon-14 isn't the only radiometric dating method available to science then. And some of those dating methods can track the age of items clear out to the hundreds of millions or even billions of years.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Paul Osborne wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:The earth is 6,000 years old from the fall of Adam, and that part of the earth's temporal existence is the only part of it that really concerns LDS doctrine regarding salvation and the mortal probation.

But LDS doctrine says that there was no death until the fall of Adam. How does that square with the 4.5 billion year-old earth paradigm?

No death? The earth was terrestrial and bodies were after a terrestrial order and wouldn't die through old age and natural causes. But, all kinds of life could be killed by a mountain falling on it or by some other kind of death blow. Paul O

I already pointed out why this is factually wrong but what occurs to me now is that this "terrestrial order" thing complete with assement of how animals could die by being smashed by mountains but not by old age etc. seems just made up to me.
How do you even get this out of Mormon scripture? Or, are you inventing doctrine?
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

But LDS doctrine says that there was no death until the fall of Adam. How does that square with the 4.5 billion year-old earth paradigm?

This is a logical inconsistency, and I have never, and do not now, have an explanation for it. I have a theory, and I have speculational beliefs, but no answer.

This does not bother me because of the phenomena of testimony, but otherwise, it very well may. Personally, my present theory is that there was, indeed, death, for hundreds of millions of years prior to the Garden and the Fall. What I suspect here is that vast chunks of the creation story, and the various phases of the creation and progress of life on earth, are missing from the scriptural recored. I think it quite possible that the earth was created in a paradisaical state, and then became mortal for much of its 4.5 billion year history. At some point it was raised again to a paradisaical state, for some period of time, such that Adam could fall from that state to mortality. This is, it would seem, inconsistent with present teachings, which seem to assume a seamless transition from the creation to the Garden to the Fall. Yet, with further light and intelligence thrown on the subject, it may be quite easy to reconcile the apparent inconsistencies.

The fossil record is one of long periods of stasis followed by vast catastrophes that eliminate large majorities of organic life from the earth, only to have large numbers of completely new organisms appear in yet another phase, and then another, and another. The earth was created in a Terrestrial state, but I see no reason why it couldn't have then spent much of its time as Telestial sphere in preparation for this six thousand year moment in which the Father's children come to earth as players in the great cosmic drama in which we find ourselves. In other words, there's a huge lacuna in the creation story that we just don't have. The Gospel is still growing, line upon line, here a little, and there a little. I always return here to God telling Moses that he would only be told of things pertaining to this earth.

This seems to have meant only this particular planet, but I've always wondered if the Lord also could not have meant different phases of this planets history that were either so different, or so unrelated to the mortal probation directly that the Lord would term it, figuratively, another earth (the same earth, but under very different conditions only distantly related to that which man needed to know for his salvation and exaltation).

We know the earth was mortal during these ancient eras because we know the Dinosaurs, for one example, hunted, killed, and ate each other. We've found Dinosaur eggs (Proceratops, if memory serves me, in Mongolia).

I think that, within a Gospel doctrine context, the earth has been through a number of phases of which we have no knowledge, and that the Lord has given us what we can understand-or tolerate-up to this point.
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson