Church Admonishes to Use Only Approved Sources

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: Church Admonishes to Use Only Approved Sources

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Stem wrote:Consig, these post mortem episodes from this October Conference were some of the best Mormon-related podcasts I've listened to. You hit a home run each and every one.

Ditto. LOVE LOVE LOVE em.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

its amazing he so plainly admitted "questions arise about history". It's like they assume the cat is out of the bag. Have they admitted this before in conference? The usual course of action would be to not say anything, because otherwise how many listing will say to themselves, "what does he mean questions about church history?"
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Philo do it.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Stem wrote:Consig, these post mortem episodes from this October Conference were some of the best Mormon-related podcasts I've listened to. You hit a home run each and every one.

Ditto. LOVE LOVE LOVE em.

Me too!

Good job!
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

New Era; July 2007 Q&A: Questions and Answers wrote:One of my friends, who is active in the Church, has some anti-Mormon literature and thinks we should read it so we know how to respond to it. But I find that literature disturbing. What should I tell my friend?

• Say you would rather read something you trust, like the scriptures.

• Spending a lot of time and energy reading anti-Mormon literature would be a waste.

• If you run across it, discuss it with someone who is knowledgeable about the gospel.

• Never take anti-Mormon literature at face value.

• Honest inquiry is good, but everything needs a proper perspective and context.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2007/07/qa-questions-and-answers?lang=eng&media=audio

Wow, just wow. The brainwashing of the cult is just incredible. Stupid Mormons! Stupid.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Thanks so much, Stem!

To you and all the rest who have seen fit to post such encouraging words, I want you all to know how much it means to me.

Although labors of love, these podcasts are extremely work intensive. Each one requires substantial preparation time; then recording time; and then a lot of editing afterward. I typically edit out 1/3 of the audio I have laid down.

What I am saying is it is sometimes a tough slog and without your support, I might well just call it quits and focus on my work.

As it is, I am preparing another podcast at present about the single line in the Family Proclamation about how gender is an essential characteristic of premortal, mortal and eternal identity.

This sort of got slipped in under the radar, and the podcast is about how this is not really a reemphasis of things that have been said over and over again by prophets and apostles, as advertised.

In fact, some of it contradicts what has been said by prior prophets and apostles.

The working title is a tip of the hat to Air Supply--"Making Doctrine Out of Nothing at All."

Thanks again so much to all of you!

Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Chuck Finley
_Emeritus

Post by _Chuck Finley »

Lemmie wrote:No, you're not seeing things. I saw it too, sans Dr. Pepper! From my post upthread:
"...these books, written by heaven-inspired Church leaders and recognized, safe, and reliable Church history and doctrine scholars."

Safe and reliable? Who separates historical and scholastic authors into categories like that?

So I'm batting .500 on reading comprehension since I totally read over your remark. Oops? Thanks for the gracious note.
Proud to be the first of the "February Four" expelled from the Ceebooist branch of NeverMormonism.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Kerry, there are not many agnostics that used to be expert Mormon apologists. You are special Kerry, please do it.