Mormon Interpreter reviews "Shaken Faith Syndrome"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Interpreter reviews "Shaken Faith Syndrome"

Post by _Morley »

MCB wrote:What has worked for two thousand years must be a reasonable approximation of the Truth.

Morley wrote:I don't agree, Mary. Consider (for example) the institution of slavery.

Slavery in the United States was very different from slavery in Rome. (hereditary and race-based) The New Testament urges slave owners to respect the God-given rights of their slaves. A religion which strongly attacks the values of a society in which it exists will never succeed. God is patient.

I still don't follow your argument: "What has worked for two thousand years must be a reasonable approximation of the Truth."

Institutions, cultures, or behaviors don't have to have any degree of 'truth' to last. They only need to have some functionality for some group.

I'm not arguing against your beliefs. I'm arguing with your assertion.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Chap wrote:
Nightlion wrote: ... The evil spoken of him lies in the skulduggery of his naysayers and silly women trying to justify polygamy with adolescent stupidity.

What on earth does that mean?

I hope Nightlion is not referring to the affidavits sworn by numbers of faithful LDS women who were plural wives of Joseph Smith, affirming that (surprise!) they had sexual relations with the man they regarded as their husband? Those affidavits were submitted to the court by the church in the Temple Lot case, which took place many, many years after the ladies in question had left adolescence far behind.

The LDS Church has yet to overcome its adolescence. Brigham trumpeting that Christ had a train of wifes that filled the temple and other such horse turds tossed about like so much stupid fun.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Chap wrote:
Nightlion wrote:If all that the world had about Joseph Smith were the actual words he spoke he would fair well. The evil spoken of him lies in the skulduggery of his naysayers and silly women trying to justify polygamy with adolescent stupidity.

What on earth does that mean?

I hope Nightlion is not referring to the affidavits sworn by numbers of faithful LDS women who were plural wives of Joseph Smith, affirming that (surprise!) they had sexual relations with the man they regarded as their husband? Those affidavits were submitted to the court by the church in the Temple Lot case, which took place many, many years after the ladies in question had left adolescence far behind.

Nightlion wrote:
The LDS Church has yet to overcome its adolescence. Brigham trumpeting that Christ had a train of wifes that filled the temple and other such horse turds tossed about like so much stupid fun.

Your post referred to Joseph Smith, not to Jesus, or Brigham Young. So you don't feel like explaining what you mean by "silly women trying to justify polygamy with adolescent stupidity" in relation to Joseph Smith?

(I have restored your full quote above)
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Chap wrote:
Your post referred to Joseph Smith, not to Jesus, or Brigham Young. So you don't feel like explaining what you mean by "silly women trying to justify polygamy with adolescent stupidity" in relation to Joseph Smith?

I was simply characterizing the overall air of adolescence which still owns the LDS mindset.

You think is one sealed women said she DID sleep with Joseph all the rest would resist saying the same? Silly women. And the first one lied, being Eliza no doubt. She was in league with her brother Lorenzo, the son of perdition who sold out the Restoration to England's Druid lords.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Restoration to England's Druid lords.
Although the Holy Grail lineage BS escalated in the early days in Utah, the Masonic and folk magic influences were there from the beginning.

If you want to believe that the LDS faith is in its adolescence and still has to define and reject false doctrines, that is your right. But I don't see it happening. As in murmurs of hanging by a thread and white horse during the Romney candidacy. The anabaptist sects did a good job of defining and rejecting-- and developed their own traditions-- but at the cost of a multitude of splinters. Time will tell.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Nightlion wrote:
Chap wrote:

I was simply characterizing the overall air of adolescence which still owns the LDS mindset.

You think is one sealed women said she DID sleep with Joseph all the rest would resist saying the same? Silly women. And the first one lied, being Eliza no doubt. She was in league with her brother Lorenzo, the son of perdition who sold out the Restoration to England's Druid lords.

Uh-huh.

I'm sure I would never meet Nightlion in a bar. But if I did, I think that at this point I would be checking that I have a free run to the door before he can block me.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Chap wrote:
Nightlion wrote:

Uh-huh.

I'm sure I would never meet Nightlion in a bar. But if I did, I think that at this point I would be checking that I have a free run to the door before he can block me.

Awe common now. The only fight I was even in was when challenged in sixth grade by the biggest kid in school. I whooped him at wrestling making him give. The wonders of having an older brother by three years who loved to wrestle me and give me great pain at it.
I learned by age of 12 to make him stop.

Somebody out there wants to trace Hinckley's Druid roots feel free. And look into why that handcart company his forebears were in had so many inexplicable deaths too. Dare we say the rest of the story....? hmm?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Chap wrote:

Nightlion wrote:I was simply characterizing the overall air of adolescence which still owns the LDS mindset.

Chap wrote:Uh-huh.

I suspect you might find Nightlion having a beer in a bar. After all, JSJr drank beer, and in D&C section 89 said barley drinks are for man--though hard drinks not (and wine only allowed if homemade and used for the sacrament). Beer being a taboo is not a JSJr teaching, but a later LDS innovation.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

sock puppet wrote:
Chap wrote:

Nightlion wrote:I was simply characterizing the overall air of adolescence which still owns the LDS mindset.

Chap wrote:Uh-huh.

I suspect you might find Nightlion having a beer in a bar. After all, JSJr drank beer, and in D&C section 89 said barley drinks are for man--though hard drinks not (and wine only allowed if homemade and used for the sacrament). Beer being a taboo is not a JSJr teaching, but a later LDS innovation.

Socks I could imagine nothing finer than hoisting a dark brew with you but in this regard I am a bit of a Nararite. So for my oath's sake I will suffer no barley malts to cross my lips.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

sunstoned wrote:Does anyone else find it disingenuous that Ash quotes Ron Poelman’s famous "The Gospel and the Church" talk, and references it as a conference talk. He makes no mention that this talk was censored by the brethren.

Of course he doesn't. Why bring up a bad point in an apologetic book? Far safer to ignore it and hope no one else is aware of it. This is so typical of apologetics with Mormonism. A very careful selection of just that evidence which supports your conclusion which you already believe in, and therefore carefully guide all thinking into believing your already acquired belief. It is perfect confirmation bias.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."