DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:51 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:44 am
Watch out dear one......next thing ya know ole Midgley will be asking your bishop for your address and email, and he's gonna want ta meet your husband....... oh nothing sinister, just for a few beers and giggles, of course.
Yeah what's his deal? Did he do anything to vet Smokes?
Oh heavens no, they are probably switching wives to prepare them for the Second Coming of Polygamy. Their best of bed buddies, why vet a friend?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Yeah what's his deal? Did he do anything to vet Smokes?
Oh heavens no, they are probably switching wives to prepare them for the Second Coming of Polygamy. Their best of bed buddies, why vet a friend?
Oh okay. He's welcome to contact my Bish.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Plag drama Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Lemmie »

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Lemmie, do we know whether Deseret News has a policy on plagiarizing from gentile publications?
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Lemmie and others postings are a major embarrassment to Mr. Peterson as a so called scholar and man of ethics-he just keeps hanging himself higher and higher!

k
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

For your “Christopher Hitchens Memorial ‘How Religion Poisons Everything’ File”
APRIL 29, 2020 BY DAN PETERSON

....[Postscript, to those who eagerly scan these blog entries in hopes of finding evidence of plagiarism: The entries that I identify as “notes” are, as I say, notes. In the particular case above, they are notes from Paul McFate, 52 Good Reasons to Go to Church, Besides the Obvious Ones (Chicago: ACTA Publications, 2004). They are notes from that text.

I do not count them as my original creation.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -file.html
Then Peterson is in violation of the Patheos Terms of Service:
Patheos Terms of Use

By posting your Member Content to the Site, you retain all ownership rights in your Member Content. By posting, submitting or otherwise exchanging Member Content on or through the Site, you acknowledge, agree and understand that...

(iii) you explicitly represent and warrant that you are the sole owner of such Member Content or have all rights and licenses necessary regarding such Member Content...

https://www.patheos.com/terms-of-use
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I don't know why our favorite mopologist just doesn't follow the rules? Just properly attribute the sources already and stop the silly rebellion. Is this what it is about? "You can't tell me how to run my blog?"
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

It isn't just the blog.

My survey of 6 Interpreter articles (technically volume prefaces, but written as articles with abstract, references, etc) shows a massive amount of unattributed, plagiarized material.

So the journal has a plagiarism problem, too.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 pm
Great find Doc! Does anyone here know how newspapers treat authors/columnists who simply recycle articles from other articles they've written? I think usually the authors/columnists at least tell the readers that the "new" offering is from an article previously published, right?
The lds living magazine added this to a Peterson column, directly under his title and byline:

Editor's note: A portion of this was previously published on the author's blog.

https://www.ldsliving.com/The-Excommuni ... on/s/89748
Peterson may not consider his blog posts to be publications, but clearly the LDS Living Magazine does.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, if anyone is interested, you can contact Doug Wilks who is the editor at Deseret News. Of course, his last log-in to his own site was April 16th, so I don't know how closely he tracks what's going on at the DN:

https://www.deseret.com/users/doug-wilks-dn

- Doc