Radio Free Mormon: Elder Ballard Blows Up the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Re: Radio Free Mormon: Elder Ballard Blows Up the Church

Post by _Equality »

This book, which while not published by the church itself was written by a faithful member named Steven C. Harper, has the "whiskey whiskey whiskey" quote and reference to the sermon CaliforniaKid cited. Go to page 45 in this link:
https://doctrineandcovenants325.files.w ... wisdom.pdf

I could not find it in the Joseph Smith Papers. Interestingly, I believe Harper is one of the editors of the JSP. Craig, maybe you could contact him for the complete discourse and ask him why it's not been included in the JSP.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Equality wrote:This book, which while not published by the church itself was written by a faithful member named Steven C. Harper, has the "whiskey whiskey whiskey" quote and reference to the sermon CaliforniaKid cited. Go to page 45 in this link:

I could not find it in the Joseph Smith Papers. Interestingly, I believe Harper is one of the editors of the JSP. Craig, maybe you could contact him for the complete discourse and ask him why it's not been included in the JSP.

wow I'm impressed with this board...I quote an obscure quote and you guys actually find it. I'm impressed...oh I already said that.

Joseph Smith stood before the Saints in Nauvoo, Illinois, in April 1841 and, with good humor, said: “What are my temptations? Whiskey whiskey whiskey.” He said he “could live on it and get fat and feel well if God did not say it was sinful. He would not wrestle with it,” Joseph continued, “for he could not throw it.”32 Joseph made no secret of the fact that he enjoyed a glass of wine or even a shot of whiskey. Critics consider Joseph’s consumption of alcoholic beverages hypocritical. Was it? There is no doubt that Joseph drank alcohol before the Word of Wisdom was revealed. Martin Harris testified that Joseph “drank too much liquor” sometimes before he translated the Book of Mormon, which is acknowledged in Joseph’s published history.33 Most of the other evidence that Joseph drank before the Word of Wisdom comes from critics, including a statement by Barton Stafford that “Joseph Smith, Sen. was a noted drunkard and most of the family followed his example, and Joseph, Jr. especially, who was very much addicted to intemperance
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I once tried an experiment and had a good dose of whiskey before recording one of the RFM podcasts.

I can't remember which one precisely.

I expect it is the one where I slur my words some.

I got the idea from watching a video of Frank Sinatra drink two tumblers full of whiskey prior to going on stage in the early 1970s.

Let me just say that a little whiskey does wonders to lubricate the imaginative mechanisms.

So I am not surprised Joseph Smith might have tried the same method before translating.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

consiglieri wrote:I I got the idea from watching a video of Frank Sinatra drink two tumblers full of whiskey prior to going on stage in the early 1970s.

Let me just say that a little whiskey does wonders to lubricate the imaginative mechanisms.

A Sinatra quote I like.

May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:So I am not surprised Joseph Smith might have tried the same method before translating.

I recall reading something about the sacramental wine flowing freely at the dedication fo the Kirtland Temple.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Kishkumen wrote:
consiglieri wrote:So I am not surprised Joseph Smith might have tried the same method before translating.

I recall reading something about the sacramental wine flowing freely at the dedication fo the Kirtland Temple.

I have heard this too...several times.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

My favorite Sinatra quote:

I feel bad for people who don't drink. I mean, morning is the best they're going to feel all day.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Equality wrote:This book, which while not published by the church itself was written by a faithful member named Steven C. Harper, has the "whiskey whiskey whiskey" quote and reference to the sermon CaliforniaKid cited. Go to page 45 in this link:

Fash-hin-na- (hic) tink :razz: