5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: 5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed...

Post by _Chap »

Do you have anything to say on the topic of the OP?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Chap wrote:Do you have anything to say on the topic of the OP?

Yes!
I already posted it - it's in this thread - on this page - just above this recent bizarre exchange I am having with you.

You should go and read it!

Peace,
Ceboo
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Does Paul's reference to Jesus in 1st Corinthians count as a 1st century reference? Why or why not? Perhaps what I'm asking is- do we presume 1st Corinthians is a first century source?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Ceeboo wrote:
Chap wrote:Do you have anything to say on the topic of the OP?

Yes!
I already posted it - it's in this thread - on this page - just above this recent bizarre exchange I am having with you.

You should go and read it!

Peace,
Ceboo

So far as I can see, the post you refer to contained your recommendations of your favorite posters. It is nice of you to share your views with us.

With respect, however, that does not seem to me to be a post that addresses the topic of the OP, which is (as I take it) whether the nature of the historical evidence is such as to suggest that there was no actual historical person behind the stories of Jesus in the New Testament. I realize of course that this topic has been discussed before - but then so has pretty well every other topic relevant to Mormonism, and to religion, philosophy and history in general in some kind of relation to Mormonism. Yet somehow we manage to carry on.

If you want to start a thread about the posters you admire most, I hope you will feel free to do so. I am sure many people will want to join in the fun!
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

deacon blues wrote:Does Paul's reference to Jesus in 1st Corinthians count as a 1st century reference? Why or why not? Perhaps what I'm asking is- do we presume 1st Corinthians is a first century source?

Good point. I have never yet encountered anybody who doubts that there was a historical Saul of Tarsus who was the author of at least some of the Pauline letters. And the author of those letters seems pretty convinced that Jesus was around some time in his own lifetime.
Zadok:
Maksutov:
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Chap wrote:
deacon blues wrote:Does Paul's reference to Jesus in 1st Corinthians count as a 1st century reference? Why or why not? Perhaps what I'm asking is- do we presume 1st Corinthians is a first century source?
Good point. I have never yet encountered anybody who doubts that there was a historical Saul of Tarsus who was the author of at least some of the Pauline letters. And the author of those letters seems pretty convinced that Jesus was around some time in his own lifetime.

Saul of Tarsus... ?
Read Live from Golgotha: The Gospel according to Gore Vidal!
Live from Golgotha: The Gospel according to Gore Vidal is a novel by Gore Vidal, an irreverent spoof of the New Testament. Told from the perspective of Saint Timothy as he travels with Saint Paul, the 1992 novel shifts in time as Timothy and Paul combat a mysterious hacker from the future who is deleting all traces of Christianity.

See viewtopic.php?p=750712#p750712
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Chap wrote:
So far as I can see, the post you refer to contained your recommendations of your favorite posters.

My post contained my recommendations of my favorite posters?

Is everything okay with you today, Chap?
Seriously.
It is nice of you to share your views with us.

This is getting more and more bizarre with each post!

Chap - this entire board - every single post - every single thread - are the views of the poster.

Is that a foreign concept to you?

With respect, however, that does not seem to me to be a post that addresses the topic of the OP, which is (as I take it) whether the nature of the historical evidence is such as to suggest that there was no actual historical person behind the stories of Jesus in the New Testament.

Ohhh - if you wanted to read my post about the OP - you have to go back one entire page of this thread. Just look on page 4 (we are on page 5) for the poster named "Ceeboo" and you should see it. Once you have found it - you can even read it - or not?

If you want to start a thread about the posters you admire most, I hope you will feel free to do so. I am sure many people will want to join in the fun!

Odd!
Very odd!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Chap wrote:

And yet Saul.... never met Jesus before his death.

Not a primary source, now is he?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Yes, I think we presume 1 Corinthians as first century source and I haven't seen any material that argues against Pauline authorship for that series of writings.

What skeptics (basically skeptics) are looking for is a source that is external to the Bible that documents and references Jesus.

We also see that in the links in the OP, that Paul is being criticized for not including any biographical material in his writings. In my opinion, Paul's interest was addressing the risen Christ and growing the church to the Gentiles.

Not writing a testament/biography, if you will. Or more aptly put, his interest was on supplying testimony and planting churches.

(If you can make sense out of the last two sentences, please get back to me with an interpretation so I know what I just stated there. Thanks)
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Fionn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fionn »

Are there any contemporary Jewish sources who wrote about Jesus? Seems to me that is where one might find some mention of him.
Everybody loves a joke
But no one likes a fool.