Mak's failed attempt at new Mormonism.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Paloma
_Emeritus

Re: Mak's failed attempt at new Mormonism.

Post by _Paloma »

Ceeboo wrote:Dear Mak,

Your recent participation in this thread has placed you in an ever higher regard than you already were in by book.

Considering many things (a mere few of them being that you are a devout Mormon, you work for the LDS church, you came to this board and answered the question that was asked of you, on the open board - and you are most certainly, like countless other Mormons, trying to handle this "situation" as best as you can)...................... I think you have done a remarkable job and I think you should be commended and applauded for displaying your character, your integrity, and your courage to stand!

Don't worry about folks like Cam, I am very confident that the great majority of MDB members - as well as the great majority of MDB lurkers - offer you our sincere respect. Clearly, in my mind, you have earned it!

Peace friend,
Ceeboo

Agreed x an infinite number.

Sometimes (most times!) Ceeboo speaks for me ...

Big thanks, Ceeboo!

And huge respect for you, Mak!
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

grindael wrote:Who do you mean by "the Church" here? I think I know, but don't want to put words in your mouth.

The administration of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

grindael wrote:I would agree Mak, if only if this were true: "Church records offer no clear insights into the origins of this practice."

Church records absolutely do offer clear insights into the origins of the priesthood ban against blacks. Brigham Young claimed that it was instigated by divine guidance or motivation.

You have the minutes from the meeting or the text of the revelation in which it was directed, or you have texts from well after where Brigham Young suggested it was divinely inspired? There's an enormous difference there that I hope you're not just naïvely glossing over.

grindael wrote:(revelation) If only they were honest here, Mak, your statement would have some teeth. I'm open to the possibility of your premise here, if you used a different example. I think they make every effort to acknowledge that they are human and make mistakes, but not with things of this nature. (Doctrine, revelation, teachings, etc.) They had to recraft the priesthood narrative to make it work the way you are stating above. It is not one prophet having a revelation that overturns the true teachings of a former prophet, rather it is one prophet overturning a policy that they claim they don't know the origins of.

Yes, they recrafted it based on a more accurate historical reconstruction of the events. I fail to see why that's a problem.

grindael wrote:Take for example what Dallin Oaks said recently, which I think perfectly encapsulates their thinking today: (Take note especially after the "but")...

I also testify to you that the teachings the savior has given us in his own words recorded in the New Testament and in modern revelation through his authorized spokesman are true and they set out for us the way to avoid being deceived by seducing spirits, to use the scriptural term, or by those who have themselves been deceived by seducing spirits. Stand fast with the leadership of the church. I heard President Hinckley in describing a revelation he had received concerning the building of small temples form which he will soon benefit in this part of the world that he did not claim perfection that there was only one perfect person who had ever lived upon this earth and even the prophets of God were not perfect. But, as the Prophet Joseph Smith said, on a great occasion, ‘there is no error in the teachings.’ Spoken under the influence of the spirit of the Lord, witnessed to be true in the hearts and minds of those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost, those teachings are the Lord’s will to his people. And I testify to you that these teachings are true and that if we hold with and follow the current leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, we will stay on the path toward eternal life. (Boise Rescue Transcript)

And what bearing does this have on my comment? Didn't I already point out that the Church likes to promote a kind of de facto inerrancy and infallibility?
I like you Betty...

My blog
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Sanctorian wrote:I don't have a problem with that. In fact, that seems like a good way to recoup tithing. But don't pretend that's not your motivation and if it is, keep your mouth shut and stop advocating the church. Just do your job, collect your paycheck, go home, kiss your wife and kids and thank Jebus for surviving another day.

Are you suggesting this is my situation? If not, perhaps it would be better to stop aiming all these hypothetical and artificial personas directly at me.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Paloma wrote:Agreed x an infinite number.

Sometimes (most times!) Ceeboo speaks for me ...

Big thanks, Ceeboo!

Thank you for the kind words.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Paloma!!!!!!! :smile:
My friend!!!!!!

Where have you been hiding?

Paloma wrote:Sometimes (most times!) Ceeboo speaks for me ...

A screen-licking cow speaks for you? :eek:

Big thanks, Ceeboo!

Please don't thank me - All I did was call attention to someone else's recent MDB contributions that I found to be inspiring, hopeful, and courageous - and given the obvious circumstances under which it was delivered - it was done with a high degree of class and decency.

You should thank Mak!

Amen!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

maklelan wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:I don't have a problem with that. In fact, that seems like a good way to recoup tithing. But don't pretend that's not your motivation and if it is, keep your mouth shut and stop advocating the church. Just do your job, collect your paycheck, go home, kiss your wife and kids and thank Jebus for surviving another day.

Are you suggesting this is my situation? If not, perhaps it would be better to stop aiming all these hypothetical and artificial personas directly at me.

We get it Mak, everything is a personal attack on you and your character. (by me typing this, you will probably think it's an attack on you and your character)
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

maklelan wrote:
Gunnar wrote:I can hardly wait to hear Maklelan's take on this new development.

My take is that it is ill-conceived boundary maintenance and legal prophylaxis that will cause a great deal of harm.

I am relieved that you confirmed my expectation and impression that you are basically a very decent fellow who would recognize the potential harm that will almost surely result from this ill-advised policy change. I hope that there are enough people like you still in the Church to eventually influence a positive change for good. :smile:
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Sanctorian! :smile:

Sanctorian wrote:We get it Mak,

Who is "we?"

everything is a personal attack on you and your character.

No - clearly everything is not a personal attack on Mak and his character. As a matter of fact, there have been many supportive and kind posts directed at Mak in this very thread. (You know, you really should read this thread!)

A fair amount of your posts, however, have indeed been personal attacks on him and/or his character.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

maklelan wrote:
DrW wrote:Mak,

You have my respect for this clear and concise response. No one here should expect more from you.

I hope you have not risked your standing in the Church or your profession position by making such a statement in a public forum.

I appreciate that. I am trying to be tactful and somewhat discreet because I realize I run a risk, but I also don't feel it would be right to remain silent. There is too much at stake.

Reading that response further increased my respect for you and my appreciation of the situation you are currently in. I wish you and your family well.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey Sanctorian! :smile:

Sanctorian wrote:We get it Mak,

Who is "we?"

everything is a personal attack on you and your character.

No - clearly everything is not a personal attack on Mak and his character. As a matter of fact, there have been many supportive and kind posts directed at Mak in this very thread. (You know, you really should read this thread!)

A fair amount of your posts, however, have indeed been personal attacks on him and/or his character.

Peace,
Ceeboo

Hi Ceeboo :razz:

"We" is anyone that is willing to see past his BS. Mak is a smart guy, probably a good father and certainly a nice enough human being. However, his BS is knee deep. This is especially true when it comes to his motives behind the church. He has a known bias (his employment) and does to others the very thing he accuses "us" of doing. "We" call him out on it and he doesn't handle it to well. Just like you're calling me out on my BS. I'm just not going to rub his nut sack because he makes a statement on a board that has no bearing on real life. I guess I'll state it again, Mak is certainly doing things outside of this board that no one knows. It could be bad, it could be good. That's for Mak to decide. But to suggest his one statement on this thread shows his integrity and motive, I find that suspect.

Peace,
Sanctorian
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.