How Do you Define the LDS Church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

How Do you Define the LDS Church?

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

How would you define the LDS church?

We're assuming its a theocracy, as its a religion, but how is it run?

Oligarchy--the few

Democracy--the people

Dictatorship--one man, the Prophet (or someone else?)

Something else?

I vote oligarchy. The church obviously has too much tradition for one man to run it. The people obviously don't vote for the next Prophet. I think oligarchy. They spread out the duties amongst the GA's and some of the bureaucrats.

What say you?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Dictatorship--one man, the Prophet .... FOLLOW THE PROPHET is the motto of the cult.
_keene
_Emeritus

Post by _keene »

It's a declared dictatorship. Joseph smith was pronounced King, after all.

Of course, the one leader IS supposed to be Jesus -- but I think Jesus would take a much more active stance in the world. The church and it's members seem a bit too lazy in my opinion.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Interesting question.

I think in the early days of the church, Joseph Smith was crowned King of the World/Israel (Can't remember the correct wording here) to rule durning the return of Christ. So certainly the church was a dictatorship at that time. After the death of Joseph Smith, that honor, many believed would go to David, (named after King David).

I just read, From Mission to Madness, the story of David and it seems even Saints in SLC thought David would be the one to lead the church and usher in the coming of Christ, due to revelations and statements of Joseph Smith. I found it fascinating.

But today, what I see is more an oligarchy. We don't hear of revelations or visions from the prophet. Those days are long gone. Seems the church is more like a business... a CEO, board of directors, upper level managment, lots of workers...

~dancer~
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

truth dancer wrote:
But today, what I see is more an oligarchy. We don't hear of revelations or visions from the prophet. Those days are long gone. Seems the church is more like a business... a CEO, board of directors, upper level managment, lots of workers...

~dancer~

My thoughts exactly.

By my count its:

Oligarchy-2
Dictatorship-2
Democracy-0
unnamed others-0

come on people. I wanna see some votes

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Okay since I only have four to choose from

I vote Ditatorship....

Then I guess Oligarchy...because there is to much crap to hide and one man cannot do it alone...

Maybe my other would be Borg like,,,,,one mind....controls everyones thoughts actions at every moment of their life
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

SMART BITCH wrote:Okay since I only have four to choose from

I vote Ditatorship....

Then I guess Oligarchy...because there is to much crap to hide and one man cannot do it alone...

Maybe my other would be Borg like,,,,,one mind....controls everyones thoughts actions at every moment of their life

I'm open to whatever you can think of. That's what the "other" is for.

I'd halfway vote for plutocracy.

Maybe autocracy

Maybe tyranny.

its harder than you think, when many forms of governing overlap.

Bond
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Dick Tators
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Votes stand at:

Dictatorship:4

Oligarchy:2

Democracy:0

Other:0
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Scam-o-garchy.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.