Response to "Do the GA's need secular qualifications&am

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Response to "Do the GA's need secular qualifications&am

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I was originally going to post a reply over on that thread, but a new question came to mind so I thought I'd create a new topic.

My question is do the GA's have theological experience?

What I mean is, do any of them have specific religious training beyond the "on the job training" they get through various church callings?

The reason I ask is that the average preacher or priest usually has to go through some training at Bible College or whatever to gain some form of certification. The Pope spent his life studying the texts up through the ranks of the Catholic Church. US Preachers usually go to Bible school specifically for preaching. What about the LDS church leaders? Despite there titles and rank, are they just a high ranking lay clergy?

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Response to "Do the GA's need secular qualification

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Bond...James Bond wrote:The reason I ask is that the average preacher or priest usually has to go through some training at Bible College or whatever to gain some form of certification. The Pope spent his life studying the texts up through the ranks of the Catholic Church. US Preachers usually go to Bible school specifically for preaching. What about the LDS church leaders? Despite there titles and rank, are they just a high ranking lay clergy?

GBH certainly has "come up through the ranks" -- he's worked for the Church professionally since the 30's (other than a few months for the gov't during WWII). He's written or overseen the writing and other Church publications and media for much of that time, so among the current GA's, he probably knows LDS theology the best, simply because he's helped define it for the past 70-odd years.

As for the others, here's what they did professionally before being called full-time:

Monson -- newspaperman
Faust -- lawyer
Packer -- CES educator
Perry -- businessman
Nelson -- surgeon
Oaks -- lawyer/judge/university president
Holland -- CES educator/university president
Ballard -- businessman
Wirthlin -- businessman
Scott -- nuclear engineer
Hales -- businessman
Eyring -- businessman/college professor/college president
Uchtdorf -- airline pilot
Bednar -- college professor/university president

Almost all worked their way up through the ranks in terms of Church leadership (i.e., bishop, SP, mission prez, reg. rep., Seventy, etc.). Dallin Oaks is the anomoly -- he never served a full-time mission, was never a bishop, stake president, or mission prez -- he was a stake president's counselor and regional rep. before becoming an apostle.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:The reason I ask is that the average preacher or priest usually has to go through some training at Bible College or whatever to gain some form of certification. The Pope spent his life studying the texts up through the ranks of the Catholic Church. US Preachers usually go to Bible school specifically for preaching. What about the LDS church leaders? Despite there titles and rank, are they just a high ranking lay clergy?

GBH certainly has "come up through the ranks" -- he's worked for the Church professionally since the 30's (other than a few months for the gov't during WWII). He's written or overseen the writing and other Church publications and media for much of that time, so among the current GA's, he probably knows LDS theology the best, simply because he's helped define it for the past 70-odd years.

As for the others, here's what they did professionally before being called full-time:

Monson -- newspaperman
Faust -- lawyer
Packer -- CES educator
Perry -- businessman
Nelson -- surgeon
Ballard -- businessman
Wirthlin -- businessman
Hales -- businessman

Almost all worked their way up through the ranks in terms of Church leadership (i.e., bishop, SP, mission prez, reg. rep., Seventy, etc.). Dallin Oaks is the anomoly -- he never served a full-time mission, was never a bishop, stake president, or mission prez -- he was a stake president's counselor and regional rep. before becoming an apostle.

Hey Rollo (everytime I see your post I think of the Rolo candy),

Thanks for the heads up on these guys. I wondered in their was any specific schooling they have to go through or if it's just learn as you go, gain experience, on the job training.

Thanks

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I wondered in their was any specific schooling they have to go through or if it's just learn as you go, gain experience, on the job training.

I don't know of any formal schooling or training they receive. There are occasional leadership meetings, but most of this deals with procedures, not theology.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Monson -- newspaperman
Faust -- lawyer
Packer -- CES educator
Perry -- businessman
Nelson -- surgeon
Ballard -- businessman
Wirthlin -- businessman
Hales -- businessman

Here's what's missing:

no carpenters
no farmers
no well diggers
no bar owners
no fishermen
no tax collectors
no military
no artists
no women

No wonder we're going to hell in a handbasket: look at all those businessmen and university presidents! If there was ever a couple of groups that were born to think inside the box, it's those two.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

harmony wrote:No wonder we're going to hell in a handbasket: look at all those businessmen and university presidents! If there was ever a couple of groups that were born to think inside the box, it's those two.

I note that the 4 former university/college presidents (a full one-third of the current Quorum of the Twelve!) all presided on campuses directly affiliated with and sponsored by the LDS Church. In other words, their "box" was very, very small, indeed.

_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

harmony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Monson -- newspaperman
Faust -- lawyer
Packer -- CES educator
Perry -- businessman
Nelson -- surgeon
Ballard -- businessman
Wirthlin -- businessman
Hales -- businessman

Here's what's missing:

no carpenters
no farmers
no well diggers
no bar owners
no fishermen
no tax collectors
no military
no artists
no women

No wonder we're going to hell in a handbasket: look at all those businessmen and university presidents! If there was ever a couple of groups that were born to think inside the box, it's those two.

Businessmen don't think out of the box? Guess we run in different circles.

As for the original question, none are theologians in the sense you use it. By having a lay clergy it is doubtful any theologion will even lead in the High Councils of the Church. CES teacher is about as close as one gets.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:
harmony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Monson -- newspaperman
Faust -- lawyer
Packer -- CES educator
Perry -- businessman
Nelson -- surgeon
Ballard -- businessman
Wirthlin -- businessman
Hales -- businessman

Here's what's missing:

no carpenters
no farmers
no well diggers
no bar owners
no fishermen
no tax collectors
no military
no artists
no women

As for the original question, none are theologians in the sense you use it. By having a lay clergy it is doubtful any theologion will even lead in the High Councils of the Church. CES teacher is about as close as one gets.

Thanks for the information guys.

Is there anywhere the LDS can go to study LDS doctrine exclusively?

Is there a program at BYU where you can study LDS doctrine exclusively? Like a subset of religious studys?

Bond
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
harmony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Monson -- newspaperman
Faust -- lawyer
Packer -- CES educator
Perry -- businessman
Nelson -- surgeon
Ballard -- businessman
Wirthlin -- businessman
Hales -- businessman

Here's what's missing:

no carpenters
no farmers
no well diggers
no bar owners
no fishermen
no tax collectors
no military
no artists
no women

Thanks for the information guys.

Is there anywhere the LDS can go to study LDS doctrine exclusively?

Is there a program at BYU where you can study LDS doctrine exclusively? Like a subset of religious studys?

Bond

Bond

Not that I am aware of. Well you can take a lot of LDS religion courses at BYU, but a degree in LDS Theology? Nope
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

What exactly is seculur qualifications anyway...as far as I read they don't need anything to be GA's...

Maybe there should be contest of some sort...like who can hold thier the longest or a duel...or a drinking contest...or a poker game...or who knows the most crap about the church...who has the best banking skills...who has the most wives...who looks best in their garments...

I am thinking a duel to the death....no no who can out run the lions that want to eat them that's a better way
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........