Meeting the needs of the under-served Rich

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Meeting the needs of the under-served Rich

Post by _moksha »

I was just thinking about the Church decision to build a Temple in Draper, Utah to better serve the burgeoning needs of the multi-million dollar homes in Suncrest and the rest of Draper. I can see why the homeowners would want to have a Temple, since it increases the value of their homes and makes Temple attendance easy. It is harder to understand why the Church would choose this area, because it is relatively hard to get to as opposed to other Valley locations, but it is equally hard for these folk to drive their luxury SUVs to poorer but accessible locales.

I am thinking about this in juxtaposition to the Church also wanting to build a DI in this same affluent community. The DI is a thrift store and this wealthy community thought better of bringing poor customers into their neighborhood and so blocked their building permit. Once again the Church was only desiring to help serve the needs of the under-served wealthy, but they forgot that it was not those people who shopped the DI.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Meeting the needs of the under-served Rich

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

moksha wrote:I was just thinking about the Church decision to build a Temple in Draper, Utah to better serve the burgeoning needs of the multi-million dollar homes in Suncrest and the rest of Draper. I can see why the homeowners would want to have a Temple, since it increases the value of their homes and makes Temple attendance easy. It is harder to understand why the Church would choose this area, because it is relatively hard to get to as opposed to other Valley locations, but it is equally hard for these folk to drive their luxury SUVs to poorer but accessible locales.

I am thinking about this in juxtaposition to the Church also wanting to build a DI in this same affluent community. The DI is a thrift store and this wealthy community thought better of bringing poor customers into their neighborhood and so blocked their building permit. Once again the Church was only desiring to help serve the needs of the under-served wealthy, but they forgot that it was not those people who shopped the DI.

They're building more temples?

How many are their now?

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

moksha wrote:Once again the Church was only desiring to help serve the needs of the under-served wealthy, but they forgot that it was not those people who shopped the DI.

That was a touching story and so appropriate at Christmas. I hope they make it into a movie where the grandpa dies. That'll surely convert a lot more rich people.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

I was just thinking about the Church decision to build a Temple in Draper, Utah to better serve the burgeoning needs of the multi-million dollar homes in Suncrest and the rest of Draper. I can see why the homeowners would want to have a Temple, since it increases the value of their homes and makes Temple attendance easy. It is harder to understand why the Church would choose this area, because it is relatively hard to get to as opposed to other Valley locations, but it is equally hard for these folk to drive their luxury SUVs to poorer but accessible locales.

Personally I believe a temple in this section of Draper is goofy. If you need one in Draper put it near I-15 so it is accesible. It does bug me that it will be in what used to be called Corner Canyon when I was a wee lad, that is now full of mega homes.

So those in the rich area of Draper are on their Rameumptons are they? If this is true it is despicable.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jason Bourne wrote:So those in the rich area of Draper are on their Rameumptons are they? If this is true it is despicable.

It's true. The city council forced Deseret Industries to build their outlet West of I-15 in the "ghetto" area and allowed Old Navy to build an outlet in the original spot instead.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:So those in the rich area of Draper are on their Rameumptons are they? If this is true it is despicable.

It's true. The city council forced Deseret Industries to build their outlet West of I-15 in the "ghetto" area and allowed Old Navy to build an outlet in the original spot instead.

We allknow that only wealthy shop OLD NAVY....I did not knw there were "Ghetto" in Utah...but now that you mention it..

Maybe next they will allow Tiffany's to build there as well...Tiffany's should bring up the proerty value as well
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

I'm not exactly poor, but I enjoy shopping at DI--for electronics, CD's, tapes, and books. It's kinda like looking in a pawn shop, but cheaper. I got an unopened copy of the LDS Infobases electronic book collection for something like $5-$10. That said, I think it makes more sense to put something like DI in a poorer neighborhood. Isn't that where most of their customers are likely to be?

As to where temples should be located, aren't they generally put somewhere with high elevation (which also tends to contain more expensive homes)?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:That said, I think it makes more sense to put something like DI in a poorer neighborhood. Isn't that where most of their customers are likely to be?

Or....Put it in a rich neighborhood - isn't that where most of the donors should be?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

asbestosman wrote:I'm not exactly poor, but I enjoy shopping at DI--for electronics, CD's, tapes, and books. It's kinda like looking in a pawn shop, but cheaper. I got an unopened copy of the LDS Infobases electronic book collection for something like $5-$10. That said, I think it makes more sense to put something like DI in a poorer neighborhood. Isn't that where most of their customers are likely to be?

If we actually had a DI around here, I'd no doubt shop at it. I love shopping at thrift shops. Discovering the hidden treasures is one of my hobbies, even though we no longer depend on my ability to find those hidden treasures.

As to where temples should be located, aren't they generally put somewhere with high elevation (which also tends to contain more expensive homes)?

Well, ours is at the base of the hill, but still in a very high class neighborhood. What's funny to me is the way the other churches around it refer to it: as the beautiful temple of our Mormon friends. This, after we refer to their beliefs as abominations. I am reminded of this irony every time I hear the radio spot.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

moksha wrote:I was just thinking about the Church decision to build a Temple in Draper, Utah to better serve the burgeoning needs of the multi-million dollar homes in Suncrest and the rest of Draper. I can see why the homeowners would want to have a Temple, since it increases the value of their homes and makes Temple attendance easy. It is harder to understand why the Church would choose this area, because it is relatively hard to get to as opposed to other Valley locations, but it is equally hard for these folk to drive their luxury SUVs to poorer but accessible locales.

An excellent observation.

I have felt for a long time that the Church's handling of its welfare monies, so te speak, is underwhelming at best, and quite disappointing. TBMs generally tend to refer people to the Church's website when discussing the Welfare Program, but isn't there anything else? Don't we have more and/or better evidence of the Church's charitable works?