5 Pointed Star (from MAD)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: 5 Pointed Star (from MAD)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

VegasRefugee wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Neighbor on MAD in a thread titled: Wiccan Symbol Of Faith To Be Put On Gravestones

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/wi...S00010000000001

If the five pointed star is the emblem of those practicing Wicca (witchcraft to some), and many who have studied about Joseph Smith Jr. have had to wade through what he believed about magic and Aabrac (sp?), should it be odd that the symbol is used on some LDS buildings? or not?

Why should anyone care about this? Your thoughts?

Jersey Girl

Because Mormonism is unique in that it largely mixed folk magic with early american Christianity.

And so what? The star is a symbol, isn't it? I could just as easily say it stood for the 5 pointed stars on the US flag. This is one argument that doesn't hold alot of weight for me. When Ev's (Neighbor is Ev, I think) start throwing out symbolism as a criticism of LDS theology, anyone with half a brain can throw Pagan symbols at Christianity.

Doesn't fly.

Jersey Girl

Who said I was criticizing?

I didn't.

Jersey Girl

You came off as defensive. Was that your intent or was I just reading it wrong?

My intent was to demonstrate that this particular criticism can backfire on folks.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: 5 Pointed Star (from MAD)

Post by _Mercury »

Jersey Girl wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:
You came off as defensive. Was that your intent or was I just reading it wrong?

My intent was to demonstrate that this particular criticism can backfire on folks.

No, it leads SOME into a corner. If one were to have a cursory knowledge of the connections between folk magic in the smith home and in the area at the time you would not have to rely on more abstract and less concrete statements to work with in this matter.

The Christians don't know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to these things. Its cultural and the only thing they understand is their brand of Christianity. Like every other marginalized group one only has to turn toward the culture in order to determine behavior and more predictively thought.

Symbolism such as the pentagram on the Salt Lake temple are in the context of folk magic. Does this make it wrong and evil? No. Because in this context, culturally speaking, it does no harm other than to Mormons claiming to be "just another christian denomination".
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning