DCP thinks I'll "attack" him

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I've been around long enough to remember when you were a well-respected LDS apologist with excellent scholarship. So, what happened, dude? How did you suddenly become this wannabe poseur?

This is a dilemma many faced over there. They wanted so badly to attack me, because this is the norm in apologetics, but then when they do, they become hypocrites. Why? Because virtually all of them have complimented me on my research method, some calling it scholarship. And if they hadn't, then I could always point to someone more credentialed and respected, who had. It was a problem FAIR didn't really know to handle. They still refuse to take down my articles I wrote for them.

Apparently I was the first big name FAIR apologist to break rank and start applying my logical method inwards. The result was that I noticed valid criticisms from the critics and hypocrisy on the LDS side. They didn't feel any need to understand where I was coming from. Instead, they lashed out at me for being a turncoat apostate, which only drove me further away. For years I maintained that I had a testimony, and that I was simply being self-critical as my conscience dictated. But they seemed to be more at ease knowing I was an anti-Mormon and not a real Mormon. This, they felt, gave them license to dismiss me without engaging me like a human being. It didn't matter what I said to the contrary. For them, to criticize FAIR apologetics is attacking the gospel. And then during this phase were my eyes opened to the institutionalized intolerance towards apostates or those presumed to be apostate.

Anyway...

This is why I laugh when people like Shirts and Bokovoy try to attack me for being "unscholarly." I haven't been in an English library for two years now, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that I have read more than Bokovoy and Shirts on many on the issues for which they claim to be authorities. The difference is that I do not go to a library and ignore entire collections of scholarly journals simply because I have convinced myself that only liberal scholarship is worth reading.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein