Prof. P Makes Nasty Remark About Church PR

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I'm sure I straying into the territory of thread hijacking now, or something, but there are some interesting folk songs about Porter Rockwell and some too about the Mountain Meadowsn Massacre. I don't know if I'll actually end up including of them in things I'm working on, but they are interesting nonetheless.

There is a good book called American Murder Ballads published in 1958 by a Utah writer, Olive Wooley Burt. I think she was also a journalist who worked on the Desert News. Her book is a very folksy charming study of the tradition and she tracks down many variations of standards. Her writing style is very personal and reminds me in a way of Juanita Brooks.

I'm also interested in the life of George Armstrong Hicks, a Southern Utah balladeer who ran afoul of Brigham Young over the Mountain Meadows Massacre. One of the most stunningly twisted bits of "scholarship" I have ever read on any is Davis Bitton's character assassination of the man in the Utah Historical Quarterly. Its nearly worth pyschological annotation itself.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

...on any subject...

gah...must proofread before submitting!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."