My Blog: Youthful Harlot's Curse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks Schmo...it was fun to write them, too, and maybe I'll write some more. God knows that was quite a neighborhood---but then my bigger point is that Utah is a very strange (and wonderful) place.

I'd appreciate any other comments, too.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Blixa, Diaper Man is in Tulsa!

I'm frantically packing my family's clothes for a week-long vacation at the beach and don't have nary a minute to spare, but I HAD to share this story with you.

Apparently Diaper Man not only has a soulmate in that crazy diaper-wearing astronaut, he has a brother here in Tulsa! Check it out.

http://tulsa.cox.net/cci/newslocal/mult ... atearticle

KA
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Blixa, great stuff!! Love opening scenes of movies that show old gas-pumps, dusty streets, and suggestions of mystery and poverty--in all of its 'glory'... Your story of growing-up/down-Mormon portrayed that to a "T"!! What have You published to date? Keep @ it, yer GOOD!!

Jason, et al, to get to a 'blog' click the 'Blog' icon between 'profile' and 'PM'... A new feature on MD... Be careful... Ain't none as good as Blixa's, IMSCO... Warm regards, Roger
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Blixa,

It's a great read. I wonder if those on the outside looking in would think you were making half the stuff up? If I didn't witness it for myself growing up (and even now) it would be difficult to believe.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks, all.

Roger, I mostly write scholarly, academic essays, but I also occasionally write for mass circulation fashion/lifestyle mags. I've never published any nonfiction memoirs or fiction. I don't know if I want to or not---I'm undecided for a number of reasons. But maybe I'll write some more for my own pleasure and post them here as well.

Inconceivable, I dunno, while there are some very unusual aspects to Mormonism in large part I didn't really experience those since I never went to the temple, went on a mission, or lived any of my adult life as a Mormon. What I've written about strikes me as slightly less conventional than the average middleclass suburban american childhood (although the number, both exmo and not, of "characters" who all hail from my neck of the woods, is kind of striking). Local eccentricity, yes, expose of Mormon weirdness, probably not so much. Maybe I'm wrong? Utah is strange though, but that's one of the things I actually love about it.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."