My Blog: Youthful Harlot's Curse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

My Blog: Youthful Harlot's Curse

Post by _Blixa »

Ok, due to popular demand, I have created an MD blog and posted the aforementioned memoirs upon it,

I'm sure you all know to read from the bottom up when reading blogs and in this case they should probably be read in order.

So there they are.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Ah, some great memories: Joe Gee, the Gully between State and Dimple Dell, but the smoke stack in Draper didn't jog my memory at all.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

You actually remember Joe Gee? Moksha do we know each other?

I think I'm talking 'bout another Gully, though lord knows there are several that serve to siphon off spring run off....In fact I just realized that what I thought was "just another gully" for years is actually Parley's Hollow (since the interstate cuts across it, I never got a sense of it being all one thing or connected to Parley's canyon. Aslo seeing it from the ground is confusing at this point in history, but Google maps helped correct my perspective (I've been reading a book on the history of Parley's Hollow and trying to get a sense of what earlier versions of the Salt Lake Valley/SLC might have looked like).

That smokestack may still be there for all I know. What a image of hell it is in my mind: the jolly face of "Colonel" Saunders smiling out over radioactive tailings...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Thank you, Blixa! I just read your blog and left a comment on the story of Diaper Man. I remember them all from earlier but it was such a pleasure to read them again.

KA
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

You really got a knack for story telling, B. Looking forward to reading future updates.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it.

Utah is such a weird place. For so many reasons. And I actually love and miss a great deal about it. I'm getting more and more consumed with homesickness every passing year, too. I'm excited I'm going to be spending a few months there soon and I'd like to write more about my experiences from the perspective of present meeting past. But I have major reservations about "autobiography" and "memoir," partly because of their ubiquitous presence in current publishing.

One thing I do know, and frankly its something I wish the Mormon church would learn, is that you truly can not escape the past. As I'm sitting here writing this, for example, I am wearing clothes my mother wore in North Africa over 50 years ago. That's right, I'm my mother. Well, not really. At least I sure hope not. But when I was home in October I raided her hoarding closets and made off with some lovely gems.

What I'm sporting today is a cool house coat---wait, stop right there. Did I actually just type "cool house coat?" Well it is---a long, button-up smocky dress hand sewn from rough, bark-cloth with tiny red roosters in the pattern and shiny scallop edged red buttons. My mother wore this in Utah too when I was a baby and I loved those red buttons. I grabbed it out of total nostalgia, but turns out its as genius around-the-house wear for the hot, muggy summer climate of New York City as it was for Tripoli, Libya.

On my feet I've got a pair of her old Libyan leather sandals: toeless slip ons that feature an "Aladdin-esque" pointed curl over the arch. She wore them in Libya and Utah, I remember briefly copping them in High School, how is that they're not yet worn out? I guess curing leather in horse urine really is a good thing.

Anyway, I'm serious about working with "history" and it's always urgent importance. That's why I've got this sabbatical for a project that, among other thing, deals with the status of so-called "historical" fiction. (I'm not trying to be coy, but I'm not saying more about it here, at least not until I have a publisher. I've had ideas ripped off before after injudicious internet blabbing about them.)
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: My Blog: Youthful Harlot's Curse

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Blixa wrote:Ok, due to popular demand, I have created an MD blog and posted the aforementioned memoirs upon it,

I'm sure you all know to read from the bottom up when reading blogs and in this case they should probably be read in order.

So there they are.

How do I see your blog?
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

moksha wrote:Ah, some great memories: Joe Gee, the Gully between State and Dimple Dell, but the smoke stack in Draper didn't jog my memory at all.

Hoo ha-Bell Canyon Gully. Grew up a few blocks from it just south of 7th east and north of the Gully!
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Why Jason, its under blogs right here on the MD board! Youthful Harlot's Curse---courtesy William Blake.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Just finished reading it all, and I agree: you are a very enjoyable story teller. Great stuff!

Thanks for doing that.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.