The Trinity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Selah
_Emeritus

The Trinity

Post by _Selah »

I've been wrestling with accepting the Trinity lately. I think part of me doesn't want to accept it as a last hold out to hang onto the church (yes I know I'm confusing.. :P ) but are there any websites or books or anything that deal with the basic traditional trinity teachings that you would recommend?

Have any of you gone through this?
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

The best book for "dealing" with the Trinity would be the Bible. But, if you would instead like affirmation of it's truth via strenuous exegesis and logical contradictions, then I'd suggest The Forgotten Trinity by James White
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Robin Lane Fox, Pagans & Christians. The chapter on "Language of the Gods"

William Rusch, The Trinitarian Controversy.

I also wrote a paper on this topic for an evangelical minister friend of mine. I can't vouch for the internet jumps any longer.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df5t8cqm_2csw3qk

rcrocket
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: The Trinity

Post by _Mercury »

Selah wrote:I've been wrestling with accepting the Trinity lately. I think part of me doesn't want to accept it as a last hold out to hang onto the church (yes I know I'm confusing.. :P ) but are there any websites or books or anything that deal with the basic traditional trinity teachings that you would recommend?

If your having such a hard time accepting the trinity why not consider the option that there is no trinity and furthermore that there is no god?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_grayskull
_Emeritus

Post by _grayskull »

If you're still trying to convince yourself to be Mormon, go the "publish on one thing, authority on everything" route that the apologists take. Do some research on Isaac Newton and see if you can find some of his attacks on the notion of the Trinity and then reason, since he invented diff. calculus, gravity, and optics, that he must not have "just left his brain at the door" when doing theology and satisfy yourself that the doctrine of the Trinity is false.

(It is really false by the way, but that's just because there is no such thing as God).
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Selah wrote:I've been wrestling with accepting the Trinity lately. I think part of me doesn't want to accept it as a last hold out to hang onto the church (yes I know I'm confusing.. :P ) but are there any websites or books or anything that deal with the basic traditional trinity teachings that you would recommend?

Read John Shelby Spong's books... "Sins of Scripture" (Google for others) Check out my just submitted "New Topic"... Believe what You want for as long as You want to. Then....???? The sun always comes up in the East... Warm regards, Roger
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Just think of the life-cycle for Pokémon.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_JAK
_Emeritus

Post by _JAK »

Mercury wrote:

If your having such a hard time accepting the trinity why not consider the option that there is no trinity and furthermore that there is no god?

Exactly so, Mercury.

No evidence has been established for God or any of the God claims. Instead, we have the conjecture for the claims.

The Trinity is simply one of many Christian doctrines that was constructed. Some historians regard the doctrine as a device to sell Christianity. It worked and the doctrine has been a part of Christianity since it was first invented.

One religious construction for the Trinity

Another

A Muslim Perspective

JAK
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Selah, It would help a bit if you explained what sort of difficulty you experience. My experience is that there are two important difficulties in the trinity. the first is believing that there actually is a God who created all things and is personal. The second difficulty is in seeing Jesus, some first century Jew, as actually being devine,or anything beyond a human like the rest of us. There really should be some difficulty with both of those propositions.

Once my personal path went through the process of coming to see both of things as true the Trinity seemed a logical result of those two propositions. It should be realized that there are various descriptions of the Trinity and no reason to expect any of them to be complete.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I've tried to wrap my mind around the Trinity but it's really tough....it's more likely that instead of 3 being 1 the following scenarios are the reality:

1) There are no other Dieties
2) There is only One Diety (that's One=One, not Three=One)
3) There are many Dieties (and if it's so then they could very likely be infinite)

Everytime I hear someone explaining the Trinity it sounds like Peter Piper....after a while I just don't care how many pickles he picked. I much prefer No Gods or One God as a theory.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07