Why bother with MAD?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Re: Why bother with MAD?

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

wenglund wrote:From what I can gather from some of the responses to this question thus far, part of the reason some maintain an interest or presense at MA&D is because it gives them an opportunity to come back over here and brag about how supposedly superior in various ways they are to the folks over there. Evidently, it is about making oneself feel better about oneself.

This is interesting because, to a certain extent, it's true. I have stopped myself on more than one occasion from running back here to "brag" because my motive in doing so would be strictly self-aggrandizing. Still, I have frequently pointed people to threads there, and my motives in doing so are at least partly selfish: nobody there sympathizes with my best arguments, and I at least want somebody to appreciate all the hard work I put into crafting them. Of course, I also want to just share information with people, so the motive isn't entirely selfish. Or at least, that's what I tell myself. One rule I do try to follow is that I don't "brag" at the expense of posters there. Of course, I don't always succeed even on this point, as when I get really frustrated with juliann and just have to tell the world.

All of this hints at the bigger question of why we participate on a forum at all, or even why we do anything in the world. Are there any truly altruistic motivations? Aren't all motivations inherently self-aggrandizing to some degree? I can see a distinction between self-enlargement that is pursued constructively vs. that which is pursued destructively (not to mention that which is masked behind an altrustic facade vs. that which is overt and unabashed), but ultimately I wonder if all our actions might not be explained as an attempt to "feel better about oneself".

It's an almost depressing philosophical question, this question of the possibility of true altruism. What say you, Wade? Is it possible to participate on MADB without engaging in self-aggrandizement? And, while I acknowledge that some behaviors are better than others, in what do you think this "betterness" is grounded? Is it merely an evolutionary or social convention that we prefer people who behave a certain way?

-CK
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

wenglund wrote:
Mercury wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Mercury wrote:Come on folks, seriously. I know you feel like you spent alot of time there just to be shoved out the door but COME ON. I could understand if things dramatically changed but from what I can tell you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for the board. From what I can see by scanning MAD from time to time its a totalitarian state over there with the main goal being to cover up the truth and further the lies.

Why did you bother sticking around so long?

From what I can gather from some of the responses to this question thus far, part of the reason some maintain an interest or presense at MA&D is because it gives them an opportunity to come back over here and brag about how supposedly superior in various ways they are to the folks over there. Evidently, it is about making oneself feel better about oneself. The fact that there isn't a stampede from there to sit eagerly at the feet of the presubably open-minded, diverse, intellectual giants here, may be egoistical chalked up to fear and intimidation, rather than some other reasons less self-aggrandizing.

Whether this reason for the sustained interest in MA&D is realistic or delusional, there is evidently a pay-off of some sort, otherwise it wouldn't continue. What do you suppose the chances are that some people may become board and exhausted with themselves?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

No thank you wade.

Does anyone remember a wrinkle in time? Remember teh society of extreme order? that's what I see in both the church AND MADB. People obsessed with giving out fake punishment.

If it helps you to feel better about yourself to think so, then I suppose there is little harm in that. I mean its not as though you are general viewed as the go-to guy for what is real and what is fake. After all, you call yourself "Mercury"--now there is reality for ya. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I'll say it one more time wade, your a Tool. Your someone with no voice desperately trying to reach out to anyone who will listen and when on the off chance someone does listen to you, you tell them that they must follow your words, ripped off from bigots and the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Runtu wrote:
wenglund wrote:From what I can gather from some of the responses to this question thus far, part of the reason some maintain an interest or presense at MA&D is because it gives them an opportunity to come back over here and brag about how supposedly superior in various ways they are to the folks over there. Evidently, it is about making oneself feel better about oneself. The fact that there isn't a stampede from there to sit eagerly at the feet of the presubably open-minded, diverse, intellectual giants here, may be egoistical chalked up to fear and intimidation, rather than some other reasons less self-aggrandizing.

Whether this reason for the sustained interest in MA&D is realistic or delusional, there is evidently a pay-off of some sort, otherwise it wouldn't continue. What do you suppose the chances are that some people may become board and exhausted with themselves?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I don't know about you, Wade, but I'm not superior to anyone over there and don't claim to be. I like the discussion here and there, so I am posting both places. I got a little miffed with Juliann today, but it's not a big deal to me.

I'm not an intellectual giant, and am no more openminded than anyone. In fact, I'm quite opinionated. Sorry to disappoint.

I wasn't at all disappointed by you. What I said didn't have you the least bit in mind. Please don't think that my comments are always about you.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

wenglund wrote:I wasn't at all disappointed by you. What I said didn't have you the least bit in mind. Please don't think that my comments are always about you.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I just figured there were only a couple of us who posted both places, so whom else were you referring to?

They say that when a baby is born, it believes the world revolves around it. Everything exists for and because of it. It doesn't move from this state until about age 18.

Maybe it took me a little longer.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Mercury wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Mercury wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Mercury wrote:Come on folks, seriously. I know you feel like you spent alot of time there just to be shoved out the door but COME ON. I could understand if things dramatically changed but from what I can tell you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for the board. From what I can see by scanning MAD from time to time its a totalitarian state over there with the main goal being to cover up the truth and further the lies.

Why did you bother sticking around so long?

From what I can gather from some of the responses to this question thus far, part of the reason some maintain an interest or presense at MA&D is because it gives them an opportunity to come back over here and brag about how supposedly superior in various ways they are to the folks over there. Evidently, it is about making oneself feel better about oneself. The fact that there isn't a stampede from there to sit eagerly at the feet of the presubably open-minded, diverse, intellectual giants here, may be egoistical chalked up to fear and intimidation, rather than some other reasons less self-aggrandizing.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

No thank you wade.

Does anyone remember a wrinkle in time? Remember teh society of extreme order? that's what I see in both the church AND MADB. People obsessed with giving out fake punishment.

If it helps you to feel better about yourself to think so, then I suppose there is little harm in that. I mean its not as though you are general viewed as the go-to guy for what is real and what is fake. After all, you call yourself "Mercury"--now there is reality for ya. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I'll say it one more time wade, your a Tool. Your someone with no voice desperately trying to reach out to anyone who will listen and when on the off chance someone does listen to you, you tell them that they must follow your words, ripped off from bigots and the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.

In the immortal words of Captain Jack Sparrow: "I deserved that". ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

wenglund wrote:I deserved that

Yes you did.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Bond...James Bond wrote: Have you ever shown signs of telepathy? How many fingers am I holding up Wade?

Let me guess; one...and it's your middle finger. I must be clairvoyant.

It really doesn't take a mind reader, Bond.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

wenglund wrote: Evidently, it is about making oneself feel better about oneself.

I agree. That's certainly why I thought you were here, anyway.

As for the topic of this thread, I haven't been to FAIR (or MAD, or whatever it's called) since I was banned. I don't miss it in the least. I don't visit the Celestial forum on this board ever any more for same reason I wouldn't go back there: discussion revolving around the "finer points" of Mormonism are too much like a bunch of nerds discussing the finer points of Star Trek as though it's real, as I've mentioned before.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Some Schmo wrote:discussion revolving around the "finer points" of Mormonism are too much like a bunch of nerds discussing the finer points of Star Trek

Doh! I just made a star trek reference over there...
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

CaliforniaKid wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:discussion revolving around the "finer points" of Mormonism are too much like a bunch of nerds discussing the finer points of Star Trek

Doh! I just made a star trek reference over there...

LOL!

I trust you weren't referring to it as though Spock and Capt. Kirk were real though, were you?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.