Why bother with MAD?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Why bother with MAD?

Post by _Mercury »

Come on folks, seriously. I know you feel like you spent alot of time there just to be shoved out the door but COME ON. I could understand if things dramatically changed but from what I can tell you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for the board. From what I can see by scanning MAD from time to time its a totalitarian state over there with the main goal being to cover up the truth and further the lies.

Why did you bother sticking around so long?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Why bother with MAD?

Post by _Who Knows »

Mercury wrote:WHy bother with MAD?

I don't.

I still check it out from time to time, since there are some posters I enjoy reading. Which reminds me - has anyone seen cinepro or mighty curelom lately?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Mercury wrote:From what I can see by scanning MAD from time to time its a totalitarian state over there with the main goal being to cover up the truth and further the lies.

I do it for the practice. In case I ever end up in prison, I want to know how to get along with totalitarian prison guards who take away my freedoms and abuse me at every turn.

jk -- it's not that bad over there. At least not at this moment.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

There are some interesting discussions going on over there on occasion. And since I (and others) can't comment on them there, sometimes it's nice to have a dialog about them here.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Who Knows wrote:
Mercury wrote:WHy bother with MAD?

I don't.

I still check it out from time to time, since there are some posters I enjoy reading. Which reminds me - has anyone seen cinepro or mighty curelom lately?

Cinepro posted on the "Gay article" thread today (or maybe it was yesterday). Don't know about MC though.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think they have some interesting stuff over there. Every board has its own strengths and the opportunity to learn something new is ever present at MAD. In this instance, it is perhaps useful to consider the contents of the letter outside its envelope: Meaningful dialogs exist despite the sometimes heavy handed moderation. Lately it seems they have even taken a break from being overbearing and the board has perked up as a result. OF course, that can always change but for now it does give everyone a breather,
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Mighty Curelom just posted in the gays thread, agreeing with and extending a thought I'd mentioned in my previous post in that thread.

I'm not participating all that much right now on MAD. It's all just too boring. That, and I'm fairly sick of the usual pat excuses and whatnot that comprise Mormon apologetics.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mercury wrote:Come on folks, seriously. I know you feel like you spent alot of time there just to be shoved out the door but COME ON. I could understand if things dramatically changed but from what I can tell you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for the board. From what I can see by scanning MAD from time to time its a totalitarian state over there with the main goal being to cover up the truth and further the lies.

Uh, why bother with any board? Besides the conduct of one mod that I found repugnant, I had no problems posting on FAIR before I was twice removed because I post on this board. People were, for the most part, congenial to me. I didn't post there alot to begin with and stopped posting about a month before I was removed.

Not long ago there was something posted on MAD that referred to a post I made here. I was uh...ticked off about that and then registered and posted on MAD about it. I think I have made about 100 posts there by now. And people are still congenial to me.

MAD has the same community features that this board has. People are no more or less intellectually honest or dishonest on this board than they are on MAD. MAD has more TBM posters and this one has more ex-LDS. So what?

For every post of a TBM's on FAIR/MAD that makes me roll my eyes, there are just as many here that have the same effect on me and they're not posted by the TBM's here. Again, so what?

What is the issue?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jersey Girl wrote:
What is the issue?

No issue, just discussion
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mercury wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
What is the issue?

No issue, just discussion

So they throw posters they don't like off that board and squash some discussion. Is that what you're thinking about?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb